Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JenSMP 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/04/10 07:50 PM
My son has to do a presentation about someone in history who made the world a better place. It can be a musician,scientist, politician, artist, peace maker, entertainer, athlete, etc. The possibilities are endless, however we can't seem to find a person ds wants to research!

He also has to dress up like the character, so all females are out. He wanted to be J.K. Rowling until he found out he had to dress up (not exactly a historical figure, but that's the direction ds is leaning-and he definitely won't want to dress up like a woman).

I think he's turned off by the idea of researching someone he's never heard of, so we're trying to come up with someone fascinating, or at least someone fun to dress up as! I like the idea of Einstein, but ds refuses to do that b/c "people will think it's boring." These are the ones that are already taken: Edison, Michelangelo, Georgia O�Keefe, Neil Armstrong and Maria Montessori.

Any ideas? Thanks for helping us brainstorm!
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/04/10 08:50 PM
Just off the top of my head . . .
Walt Disney
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Benjamin Franklin
Davy Crockett
Sitting Bull
Orville or Wilbur Wright
Charles Lindberg
Ulysses S. Grant
Ghengis Khan
Leonardo DaVinci
Wofgang Amadeus Mozart
Posted By: onthegomom Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/04/10 11:53 PM
You might try a kid's video or book on someone to peak his interest. I hope your library has these.

http://www.gettingtoknow.com/videonew.htm There is a video on DaVinci and other artist. My DD7 thought these were funny. There are some books too.

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Linco...p;ie=UTF8&qid=1286236454&sr=1-10

I would also reccomend The childhood of famous americans. Lincoln is included in the series. My DS10 has enjoyed these for several years. The costume is not too difficult.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/05/10 12:50 AM
Ghandi
Rockefeller
Frederick Douglass
M.L. King
Henry Ford
Andrew Carnegie
Milton S. Hershey
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Ronald Reagan
Posted By: Raddy Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/05/10 09:20 AM
Mohandas Ghandi - the Mahatma - definitely - his advocacy of non-violent struggle and his ultimate success against discrimination, tyranny and the British Empire
- and the outfit should be easy too!
Posted By: JenSMP Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/05/10 04:25 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas! DS is leaning toward Walt Disney, probably because we live near Disney, and it's a familiar "topic". Plus, according to ds, "Walt Disney just looks like a regular man, so I won't have to wear some weird wig or costume. I can just put on a suit, draw on a mustache, and slick my hair back." Hehe!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: 2nd Grade Historical Presentation - 10/07/10 10:14 AM
Childhood of famous americans series has Walt Disney.

Hope he has fun with this.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum