Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onthegomom Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/21/10 06:09 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is ok or too scarey for a DS10 who is sensitive?

Someother series he has read that I would recommend and he was fine with:
Warriors
Redwall
Guardians of Gahoole
Posted By: intparent Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/22/10 01:19 AM
D loved Artemis Fowl at that age. I have read them, too. I think if he is good with those other series, go for it with the first A.F. book.
Posted By: momtofour Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/22/10 02:35 AM
Ds10 read it, and he is pretty sensitive. I haven't read it
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/a/artemis-fowl.aspx
I usually use commonsensemedia, but they didn't have the first book. I personally disagree with most everything from Focus on the Family, but their reviews can be useful.
Ds also loves the Septimus Heap series - we were able to get a number of books loaded onto his iPod from the public library. he also likes all the Tamora Pierce books. They're mainly female protagonists, but he has loved them.
Theresa
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/22/10 06:49 AM

I've read it and loved it.

It's not too bad. In one of the books somewhere there is a charater that dies, but I don't think that's the first book.

If he read Redwall, I would think he would probably be ok. It deals with big themes but it does it in a fairly 'light' way.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/22/10 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone!!!! Thank you for the book review websites - very very helpful!!!!!
Posted By: intparent Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/22/10 02:17 PM
Thinking about it more, I think Artemis Fowl is especially good for gifted kids. He is clearly PG, but also clearly a flawed character -- he hasn't learned the lesson yet that just because he CAN do something doesn't mean that he SHOULD.

Agree with the Septimus Heap and Tamora Pierce recommendations as well. We met Tamora Pierce once at a book signing on Halloween night (my kids would not be kept away, even though it was Halloween!). So we went with them in their costumes, and then did some trick or treating afterwards in the neighborhood near the bookstore. D2 was about 7, and dressed as a hobbit. Tamora recognized the costume at once and complimented her, and D launched into one of the longer poems from Lord of the Rings. Tamora responded in Elvish. It was a great moment!
Posted By: Raddy Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/23/10 10:46 AM
Junior - reluctant reader - is ploughing through it without too much hasslin' from dad.
(He just brought Dracula home from seniors' library - I bet him �5 he wouldn't get past page 25. I think my money's safe smile )
Posted By: intparent Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/23/10 05:55 PM
I recently loaded Dracula onto my iTouch (one of the "free" ebooks, since it was published so long ago). And it is actually quite good! You might lose your bet, as I think the beginning is pretty creepy and interesting.
Posted By: Raddy Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/23/10 06:29 PM
Intparent-
Perhaps I should just pay him the �5 NOT to read it - don't want him being awake all night with ghost trouble smile
Posted By: intparent Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/23/10 08:28 PM
Nothing would make my kid read it faster than offering to pay them NOT to read it. smile
Posted By: Min Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 09/24/10 10:00 PM
My sons (8) love Artemis Fowl books. A character dies in "The Opal Deception", but I didn't find that it was handled in a manner that would be upsetting to many.

They are also very much enjoying "The Lightning Thief" series by Rick Riordan.
Posted By: blob Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 11/19/10 05:35 AM
Digging this thread out for ideas.

DS7 is in love with the Artemis Fowl series. He's 2 books away from the end and I'm wondering what to get for him after this.

He's sensitive, so Harry Potter won't do. He's worried by the cover of the Lightning Thief series so he hasn't taken to it either. I haven't read the Artemis books myself but he says he loves the wicked humour compounded with the high tech, science-y feel of the books.

Any suggestions? Is Septimus Heap and Tamora Pierce in the same vein?
Posted By: Grinity Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 11/19/10 11:59 AM
Eragon?
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 11/19/10 02:34 PM
DS9 read all the Septimus Heap books at 7. He loved them and I don't recall there being anything too intense.
Posted By: blob Re: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 11/20/10 01:43 AM
Tks so much for these great suggestions!

I'll certainly check all these out! *rubbing my hands in glee*
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum