Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raddy Trigonometry resources - 09/06/10 04:28 PM
has anybody used any really good resources to teach basic trig (Pythagoras, Sine Cosine rules). Maybe looking at books with parent friendly explanations smile or DVDs
Thanks
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Trigonometry resources - 09/06/10 06:06 PM
I am interested too.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Trigonometry resources - 09/06/10 06:26 PM
Murderous Maths, The Fiendish Angletron - would be pushing it to call this "for teaching", since my only role was to pay for it, but it definitely seems to be good for learning basic trigonometry!
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Trigonometry resources - 09/06/10 06:28 PM
I plug MEP all the time (sorry...); here's a place to start:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/allgcse/allgcse.htm

The GCSE material looks to cover some basic trig stuff in Y10 pupil text 4. The teaching material is available there, too (you might need to drop them an email asking for the password, but they are very good about sharing that). And it's all free, so an easy place to have a first look.

We've also been playing with the Mathematics: Modelling our World books from COMAP [ http://www.comap.com/ ]--I got "new old stock" copies of the first editions of volumes one and two on abebooks, so cheap--cheap is good on one income! They are very interesting texts; "mixed maths" approaches to various real-world problems (managing wildlife populations, computer animation, mapping, electoral reform, etc.); the neat things to me (very much not a maths person) are that a) the problems are "messy," like life!, and b) the student has to figure out what kind of math he needs for any given problem--it's not all tidily divided into all the geometry problems here, and so on.

Hope one of those might be of some interest!

peace
minnie
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Trigonometry resources - 09/06/10 08:57 PM
I'm sure that one of Edward Zaccaro's Challenge Math books has Trig in it. I like his books for good kid-friendly introductions to math subjects including Trig, but I wouldn't call it a complete curriculum.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum