Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NCPMom "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 03:01 PM
I have heard these books be recommended several times - just had a look on Amazon, and they are pretty pricey - so I thought I'd better check and see if they would be suitable for my son before buying. He is 6 - almost 7 - is very mathy - has not been identified as gifted, but does go to gifted pullout for math enrichment (they use "Hands on Equations"). I'm looking for something to keep him busy during the fast approaching summer vacation. If you think the LOF books would work for him - which one would you recommend ? Thanks so much !
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 03:18 PM
I purchased this for dd7(DYS) at the time she was 6, she goes in spurts on if she is interested in math or not when she is I pull it out. I love it, because it has a cute story about a 5 year old at college at the end of each chapter there are 9 questions to go over what was learned, and she understands (matter of fact she has corrected me when I was wrong,lol it's been a while since I've done math like this) I have the fractions book. it was $19.00 go to :

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html

If he's mathy I think he'll enjoy it, and even if he's not ready for it yet, when he is you'll have it handy

Best wishes
Posted By: bh14 Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 04:38 PM
I too got mine right from Stanley Schmidt for $19.00. I LOVEd this book (we only have the fractions one so far.) It's fun, entertaining, and educational. My child was young, like your's so we haven't worked all the way through the book yet, but certainly it was a great way to introduce some new ideas in an entertaining way.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 07:29 PM
Thanks for your help - and the link - MUCH cheaper !! I ordered the fractions book. Now I can't wait for it to arrive ! smile
Posted By: kimck Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 07:57 PM
On this note, has anyone used LOF pre-algebra or algebra with a Singapore PM graduate?
Posted By: Christen99 Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/12/10 10:32 PM
We have fractions and decimals, and I think we paid $15 through Rainbow Resource for each book. It's not a whole curriculum, but it's a nice supplement for those who like very little repetition and are avid readers. Shipping is really inexpensive through Rainbow as well.
Posted By: Elisa Re: "Life of Fred" books - 04/15/10 06:44 PM
If you order directly from Fred's site there is no shipping charge.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum