Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Austin Math Educational Videos - 03/14/10 09:47 PM
Any suggestions for videos counting > 20 and simple addition/subtraction?

Mr W (26 mos) can count to 20 and skip count. I am looking for something that will help him count to 100 and above, skip count, and some easy addition and subtraction.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/14/10 10:07 PM
There is Math Circus (Leapfrog).
Posted By: Irisheyes Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/14/10 11:33 PM
Austin, your post really takes me back.

dd (now 5) had a number obsession for the entire year she was 2.

In fact, she only wore shirts that had numbers on them (and, yes, my sainted mother sewed different two, three or four digit numbers on to each one).

When I would take her to the library, she only wanted books with "Big Numbers." 1-to-10 wouldn't do, nor would 1-to-20.

I'm trying to remember what we did for videos. I know School House Rock has several songs/videos that are great for skip counting (ie "3 is the Magic Number"). I don't know if that would interest your son...
Posted By: Floridama Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/15/10 01:03 PM
I am looking for something that will help him count to 100 and above, skip count, and some easy addition and subtraction.

I printed out an excel sheet with 0-109 on it. I hung it on my DS's door. He taught himself. Easy as pie smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/15/10 05:46 PM
I just got this link from a homeschooling group I'm in:

http://www.watchknow.org/Category.aspx?CategoryID=81
Posted By: AGVIgifted Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/16/10 07:10 AM
I agree with Irisheyes - School House Rock is great for learning to count. Also, I like the Waterford Early Learning program "Rusty & Rosy", which can be purchased at a discount through Homeschool Buyers Co-op.

http://www.rustyandrosy.org

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/19/10 01:05 PM
Just wanted to add that Math Blaster has come out with a lower level CD-ROM that my DD4 loves, it has songs as well as early math and can be gotten for cheap on amazon, so says my MIL who actually bought it. smile
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Math Educational Videos - 03/19/10 02:48 PM
This isn't a video, so I don't know if this will help, but there is a book called "One Hundred Ways to Get to 100" by Jerry Pallotta. We bought it for my son when he was 4 or so, but he seemed to pick up the concepts between the time we bought the book and the time it arrived in the mail! Anyway, it shows skip counting by 1s, 2s, 4s, 5s, 10s, 20s, 25s, and 50s; has some addition and subtraction facts that equal 100; has some very basic multiplication facts based on the skip countin; has some very basic division problems; and is loaded with bright pictures on each page to illustrate the ideas. To me, it looks like a very useful book. HTH!
Posted By: Austin Re: Math Educational Videos - 04/01/10 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. We got the book "One Hundred Ways.." and the leapfrog videos. We also like some of the time and money counting ones, but had to stay in our budget.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum