Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Nautigal You have to have this book - 02/24/10 04:33 AM
DS7 brought home this book that his teacher loaned him--now after almost a week of not turning loose of it, he says the teacher told him to keep it. (Must check with teacher to be sure, LOL!) I promise you that it is a must-have for everyone on this board.

It's called Pocket Ref, by Thomas J. Glover, and it is simply a reference guide for everything you can possibly imagine. Weights and measures, military ranks, periodic table of elements, weather map symbols, mileage figuring, you name it and it is in this little book somewhere. Truly a book for the knowledge-obsessed.

I checked and they are on eBay. smile
Posted By: Polly Re: You have to have this book - 02/24/10 05:06 AM
Is this okay, this type of trivia obsession? My DS 2.8 is a sort of quiz show monkey-robot. Asking to be quized and spouting little factoids seems to take up a awful lot of his time and also seems to give him a lot of pleasure. DH seems to understand it more that I do as he has always liked sports stats. How much trivia is too much? I'm all for interests but it seems so involved for the age. Right now at least he only knows of a few subject areas... I don't know whether to get him a Pocket Ref or not!

Anyone had luck with steering the trivia accumulation and where did you steer it to?

Polly
Posted By: minniemarx Re: You have to have this book - 02/24/10 05:13 PM
You could steer it to Jeopardy! or pub quiz champion, like a couple of folks I know!

Seriously, thanks for the recommendation, Nautigal, it sounds fun!

peace
minnie
Posted By: Botchan Re: You have to have this book - 02/24/10 09:12 PM
I've just checked it on Amazon. Wow! Yes! I definitely have to have this book! I know my DS would absolutely love it!!!
Thanks, Nautigal!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum