Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: DCDad43 Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 01:52 PM
We are planning on signing up with EPGY and I was wondering if EPGY helps with memorization of times tables and simple addition or if those of you using it supplement with flash cards or some other online product.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 02:35 PM
Different math drills are addressed in the math races, beginning at 2nd grade. They can be set seperate to the other strands. So a child working at a high grade level overall can work on memorizing earlier drill facts and vice versa.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 03:09 PM
Aleks has a section called "quick tables". It addresses all four math functions. it starts with addition and moves on from there. It has help my son become much more proficienr at simple mental calculations.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 03:17 PM
thank you I was just wondering about this exact question.

I'm think of encouraging my DD6 to do the math facts in Alex this summer, just so she doesn't have to be concerned with it next year.
Posted By: DCDad43 Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 03:50 PM
Cool. I just watched the 3 min video preview on Aleks Quick Tables. Looks good.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 01/27/10 06:13 PM
Here is the link for the math races, this is one example http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M0WB/index.html?races .
My younger DD's use ALEKS quicktables, we will be done with them in March when our current subscription runs out, then they will switch to EPGY. My DD10 used them when she was younger.
Posted By: AGVIgifted Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/16/10 07:48 AM
I use ALEKS' quicktables with my students and definitely recommend this program.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/16/10 08:00 AM
Nobody's mentioned Timez Attack in this thread yet - DS found that much, much more engaging than ALEKS QuickTables, and learned them very quickly using it. There's a free version that covers all tables but in only one imaginary world, although we bought the full version and felt it was good value.
Posted By: AGVIgifted Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/17/10 05:45 AM
Thanks, ColinsMum! I've downloaded the free version of Timez Attack and will give it a try. It seems like a really good program.
Posted By: CourtneyB Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/17/10 06:36 AM
My son loves to play Timez Attack. It's really helped him learn his times tables (better than his addition facts actually).
Posted By: Belle Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/18/10 01:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Timez Attack...we downloaded it today and DS was totally into it. His only issue is that he is not into the massive time pressure thing....his fingers sometimes don't keep up with his brain and when you are "battling" the ogre, you have only so much time to get the answer out - so he would bumble at the keyboard trying to find the right number to key in and sometimes ran out of time and after so many wrong answers, they make you start all the way back at the beginning in some areas. He enjoyed it - I just wish that it wasn't so focused on the time thing of spitting the answer out so quickly.
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Does EPGY help with times tables? - 03/18/10 02:12 AM
www.multiplication.com is a great site for learning multiplication facts without time pressures.

The other thing we did at first with Timez Attack was *we* typed in the answers quickly for DD as soon as she told us the answer. With us typing there was less of a lag between figuring out the answer and actually inputting it into the game. We didn't have to do it long, though, before she was able to start typing it in herself.

We also have a Math Shark, which is a portable, fairly enjoyable way to practice math facts. Time is only an issue insofar as it keeps track of how long it takes you to complete each round and then you can try to beat your times. It works for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division (and can be used with decimals, too).
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum