Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Floridama Borenson Algebra - 01/27/10 01:37 PM
My 7yo grade2, who usually dislikes math, started this program at school a couple of weeks ago. http://www.borenson.com/

She loves it and even asked her teacher if she could take it home. Needless to say she has breezed through the first 2 program levels on her own and switched over to doing the problems on paper with out hands-on materials. Thank the Lord for good teachers!

It has been amazing to watch my non-math kid click in and get excited about Algebra, guess they just have to find their niche.

I would recommend this program to anyone who has not already crossed the Algebra bridge.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Borenson Algebra - 01/27/10 02:24 PM
That's interesting, thanks for posting. I'd be interested in hearing more about how it is after the first few weeks, if you could get round to posting again some time? Or maybe someone else here has used it? Algebra is coming up for DS, and I've read several rave reviews of this programme, but I wonder whether it's mainly for the kinaesthetic learners and/or those who have some anti-maths feelings. Looking at the web page and the video lesson I rather think DS would find it patronising, but maybe that's more about the advertising than the programme?

(Background: DS is a mathy child who is already quite comfortable with the basic idea of letters standing for numbers and being manipulated in a way that stands for manipulations you can do without needing to know what the number is. I answer "yes" on his behalf to the "Can Your Child solve this equation" questions on that web page, although he might not get to the answers in the most efficient way, not having been taught a method as such, yet.)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum