Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JenSMP EPGY Math - 12/03/09 04:58 PM
Ds6 prides himself on being able to answer the questions before the guy stops talking. In other words, he's not listening to the entire questions. He usually gets 90-100% correct, so should I bother correcting him? Would you use this as a lesson to slow down and listen, or would you just let him go at it?
Posted By: Jamie B Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 05:00 PM
I let my DS get a few wrong by not listening to the whole thing and I think he learned his lesson smile
Posted By: Momma Bear Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 06:25 PM
Mines doing the same. He figuring out when to listen and when he can skip it an just answer.
Posted By: JenSMP Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 07:23 PM
I guess if he's getting the answers right, I won't bother correcting him. He missed four on the last session, and it was definitely because he wasn't listening. I told him if he's not sure what it's asking to have it repeat the question or take time to read it. I think he realized why he missed those.
Posted By: questions Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 09:18 PM
My DS does the same thing. But if he gets them wrong, EPGY keeps giving the same questions and giving them and giving them... So, he can decide whether he wants to chance making sloppy mistakes and/or not listening to the lecture and getting things wrong, both of which extend the amount of time EPGY devotes to the same topic, or taking his time and doing them correctly. Live and learn. smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by questions
if he gets them wrong, EPGY keeps giving the same questions and giving them and giving them...

My DS7 figured this out, and now he intentionally gets the wrong answer on geometry questions so he can get more geometry questions (which he prefers) crazy
Posted By: JenSMP Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 10:18 PM
Great advice! Cathy, that's hilarious (and smart!).
Posted By: tofu Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 10:37 PM
haha, that's funny, Cathy!

DS6 was also typing in the answer before he heard the question, until he realized that he can read it much faster. I love EPGY math, but that man does take a while to explain things, especially for a 6 year old who just wants to get on with it. DS also doesn't listen to the lectures but I figure there will come a point where he has no choice.

Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: EPGY Math - 12/03/09 10:42 PM
DS8 rushes through also. Finally hit a topic he hadn't seen before and went "Whoa" Still half listened but picked up on it quickly. I have to say that the guy is slow and boring..........I kind of hoped that the lectures would be more dynamic.
We have also had difficulties with the drag and drop feature in the language arts sections...not very inspiring for kids wanting to move quickly.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: EPGY Math - 12/04/09 04:16 AM
It's funny to see that the kids have similar reactions. DS5 just started EPGY math last week, and he kept saying, "ugh, this guy is sooo annoying. I finally figured out I don't have to listen to all of it to answer!" Cathy - that's funny that your DS wants more geometry! Good thing you're doing it at home - I wonder how you'd explain that one at school? "No, really, I got it wrong on purpose!"
Posted By: questions Re: EPGY Math - 12/04/09 04:26 AM
I have to say that the guy is slow and boring..........I kind of hoped that the lectures would be more dynamic.

lol! We call him "Mr. EPGY." He is much improved from two years ago, when he said "Yes," "OK," "Correct." Now he says with an animated voice "YES!" "AWESOME!" "FANTASTIC!" etc. Cracks me up. Plus they added the music and the little color - green for right and red for wrong. If you think it's boring now, ...

I read somewhere that he's a computer voice, but he sounds real to me.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum