Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Anna Books for DS - 10/12/07 05:47 PM
Hello,

My son is 8 and in grade 4. He loves funny books and books with word play, e.g. Roald Dahl's, Alice in the Wonderland.
He is a very avid reader, so I have great difficulty finding new books for him. I would greatly appreciate your recommentdations.

Anna
Posted By: acs Re: Books for DS - 10/12/07 06:19 PM
DS enjoyed the Bunnicula books (One of the titles is The Celery Stalks at Midnight). We also liked Trouble in Bugland (a spoof of Sherlock Holmes). Even though it is pretty easy, no one in our family has tired of Captain Underpants because they are very clever. In the last few years, DS has really enjoyed books by Terry Pratchett--I haven't read them, but he says they are very funny.
Posted By: cym Re: Books for DS - 10/12/07 08:20 PM
Hi Anna,

Maybe also try some funny comics (Calvin & Hobbs, Far Side) and poetry (Shel Silverstein, Jack Pretlusky). I agree with Dottie that the Series of Unfortunate Events can be very humorous, and with CFK about Phantom Tollbooth (my 11 yr old re-reads this one every year). Also try books by Robert Lawson that combine history with humor ("Ben and Me" about Ben Franklin and his mouse & others). I think the Joey Pigza books (Jack Gantos) are very funny, but in a sad way and may introduce topics that are mature (ADD, alcoholism, divorce, etc.) but all that more interesting topics for conversation with Mom.

Posted By: Ania Re: Books for DS - 10/15/07 08:10 PM
Geronimo Stilton series.
A very easy read but a huge play on words.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum