Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MaxPat Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 07:28 AM
I want my DG6 to discover engineering basics through an online Lego Engineering I class available in many states, like at: http://www.clcillinois.edu/noncredi...amp;id=22396&term=1093&subj=CCMP

If you have registered through that class, I would like to hear from you, how it works, which Lego box is sent home, and what is the online access used for in combination with the Lego box?

Thanks in advance,
Max
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 01:07 PM
Max - that link didn't have anything about LEGOs.

I haven't tried one but I'd definitely be interested.

Have you looked at LEGO Education website? http://www.legoeducation.us/store/Default.aspx?retest=1&domainalert=1&bhcp=1

I have several of their products (LEGO Motorized Simple Machines, Engineering level II, Motorozied MEchanisms) if you have questions.

Dazey
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 01:17 PM
http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/program/work/#other

I have never taken this class. Northwestern learning links offers an online robotics classes using lego educate materials.

There are also lego robotics threads here. This thread has another thread listed in it's message. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/52482/Robotics_lego_mindstorm.html

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 03:54 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure what happened to the link, but here is another one: http://www.contedu.org/youth-programs/129-on-line-lego-elementary-engineering-for-kids

In case the link has a pb. again, here is the common class summary they all share:

--------------------------------------------
On-line Lego Elementary Engineering for Kids
Ages 8 and Older
This class is an on-line version of the ever popular Elementary Engineering. Once registered for this course, you will be sent a LEGO� kit with over 1,000 very advanced LEGO� parts and pieces. When you receive the kit in the mail, then you are ready to take the class. Yes, you keep the kit when the class is over! The class consists of engineering theory and instruction plus 6 very complex building exercises. This class is for the serious builder!
The class is 7 weeks in length. Your 7 weeks will begin when you register and pay for the class.

I checked the Lego website, the education one, the engineering one, and a lot of resources online including Tufts univ, FLL, etc. None of them refers to that specific Engineering online class. The only thing I found is that maybe it's based on the Technology set, since it's one of the few basic Lego ed. sets with 1,000+ pieces.

I read the previous thread about Mindstorms, which is why I posted this one. My daughter has done some Lego robotics programming before, but I would like her to start with basic engineering this year, and later on do robotics.

Onthegomom: thanks for the NW link. I think I might consider that one next after the engineering class. Have you tried it, and what do you think of that new WeDo program from Lego? I get confused with all what you need, bricks box, software, applications, and how they are sold separately.

Dazey: thanks for the link and the info. What's your experience with the 3 sets you mentioned, and which one you think should be a good one to start with, for increasing challenge ?

Thanks a lot!
Max
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by MaxPat
Thanks for the replies.

Onthegomom: thanks for the NW link. I think I might consider that one next after the engineering class. Have you tried it, and what do you think of that new WeDo program from Lego? I get confused with all what you need, bricks box, software, applications, and how they are sold separately.

I never did the northwestern lego class, we took online writers workshop there. It was good. I just offered it up incase you might like the info.

I will look into the class you mentioned my DS could use something to do like that this winter.

Thank
Posted By: Belle Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 04:35 PM
Great links...the bummer is that all of these super cool things we keep hearing about/finding are for ages 8 and up...not a lot of choices for a 6 year old who is massively into programming/lego :-(
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 04:51 PM
Check out lego education because they have robotics for Preschoolers.

Another thought, My gifted son has done lego sets 2+ years ahead for years. If the lego course says for 8+ and your child is gifted or your going to be involved or she has lots of lego experience it may be right for her.

I'm wondering if it will be too easy for my nine year old? Anybody know? I'm thinking this is general population class. (I hope that doesn't sound snobby, just trying to gage what would be good)
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 05:41 PM
http://www.contedu.org/youth-programs/129-on-line-lego-elementary-engineering-for-kids

I just called re: lego class from above.
They don't check on age. That's just reccomended age.

This is very different than Northwesterns class which includes more teacher involvement and that is reflective of the price. The price is much less thru cont. ed class - a different type of experience. Might be a great place for us to start Lego programing.

How did you find out about this class?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 06:25 PM
MAX - I've got to learn more about this class!!!! The only thing I can think of is that it is referring to the LEGO Engineering I and II kits from LEGO Education.

I like the kits I have. I think they are over-priced but it's LEGOs lol. I needed the books that go with them to get the most out of them.

I have to get the boys working as we went to a play today but I'll address your questions later.

I think there is a thread on the kits at WTM curriculum board.

Dazey
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 06:26 PM
So is the class linked to above a video class? You watch the videos online for 7weeks from the time you receive your kit?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 06:35 PM
Ok I called and talked to a woman. She said that the LEGO kit is one put together by All About Learning. You get a password to log onto for the course. THere is a number you can call for assistance. I think we might do it! She said they've had many kids take the course and never a bad review yet lol.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 06:57 PM
onthegomom - do you know the cost of the Northwestern LEGO Robotics I class?

Ok it's $450???????

Dazey
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/16/09 10:11 PM
Wow, thanks all for your feedback. I am getting excited about starting this with my daughter.

Anyway, I am not worried about age. When she was 5, she had done electronics kits, programming and robotics rated 8+, although with some guidance. And it's true that they don't check age for the cont. ed. classes.

I found it originally on our district school activity website, at http://activenet11.active.com/everg...ationMain.sdi?source=activityframes.sdi.
If the link doesn't work, try http://www.egreen.wednet.edu, then Community Ed, then classes, then register online, then activities. Scroll through to "Online Elementary Engineering Using LEGOS". The text is virtually the same on at least 3 or 4 other ed. state's websites I have found, and NONE goes more in detail on what's involved with the online part.

Even though the name is similar, it doesn't look like the box they send is one for the Engineering I, as the guide refers to the Motorized Simple Machines Set which has less than the 1000+ pieces advertised.

Dazey, you might be right about the Engineering II, which uses a different set, the Technology set with 1,100+ pieces. But the website says that Eng. II builds on concepts taught in the Elementary Engineering I workbook, so I am still missing something here...

Anyway, I hope the online classes are not just videos, but have some printed material and manuals, otherwise I will have to buy some guides online.

--> I am likely to go ahead with this course, so if I do, I will share with you what came with the course. You might want to shop around, as I found prices from $125 to $179. For our local Washington Evergreen school district, it's $128.60, so I'll just go there.

On a side note, there has been several threads about programming, and I would highly suggest to check Scratch from the MIT lab. It's a GREAT resource to introduce young kids 5-9 to programming, MUCH better and more widely recommended than the easy route to start with Basic/Visual Basic. Alice 2 is an alternative, but more confusing I think. I have been doing programming for 25+ years, and after a couple of hours with Scratch, I can tell this is a GREAT software, seeing how excited my then-5yo daughter was. Also, when I was reviewing Lego resources for hours last night, I came across one of the Lego software that looked like the Scratch programming interface, and also I found some Scratch online classes to make simple video games with it, so that's some big pluses. And did I mention Scratch is FREE?

Max
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/17/09 01:08 AM
MaxPat - can you post a link to the Wash School district w/ $128? Will you be signing up soon? If so, I'll let you be the guinea pig. laugh

We've played w/ ALice 2 adn we may have played w/ Scratch. I'll have to check and see what's on the harddrive.

We do LEGO NXT-G to program LEGO MINDSTORMS robots. My 5yr old was surpisingly good at programming as well as debugging.

Capt_Uhura
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/17/09 03:50 AM
Dazed,

Our WA edu. link is on my previous post, just follow menu directions above. Because the web pages are dynamically generated per session, I cannot give the link to a final page (I guess same pb. with my very 1st link), so you have to navigate there from the main page.

I might sign her up this weekend, but she has to stick to her part of the deal of work/play time management, and tonight she didn't... I'll let you know if/when I sign her up.

Since the Mindstorms robot kit is rated 12+ yo, and there are so many other things I am trying to have her do, I was going to wait until she's at least 8-9 to buy our own set. I was afraid that if she does robot programming first, she would get bored doing more basic stuff like the online engineering course with pulleys and gears, not even a motor included in that Lego ed. pack.

Oh well, maybe we'll get a Mindstorms for xmas 2010, if I can figure out the RCX vs. NXT vs. NXT-G vs. Robolab vs. Labview...

Max
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/17/09 11:42 AM
On a side note, there has been several threads about programming, and I would highly suggest to check Scratch from the MIT lab. It's a GREAT resource to introduce young kids 5-9 to programming, MUCH better and more widely recommended than the easy route to start with Basic/Visual Basic. Alice 2 is an alternative, but more confusing I think. I have been doing programming for 25+ years, and after a couple of hours with Scratch, I can tell this is a GREAT software, seeing how excited my then-5yo daughter was. Also, when I was reviewing Lego resources for hours last night, I came across one of the Lego software that looked like the Scratch programming interface, and also I found some Scratch online classes to make simple video games with it, so that's some big pluses. And did I mention Scratch is FREE? Max

Wow Scratch looks great. I was wondering if you down load the program do you need to go to their website? I'm concerned about content for my kids? has the website content been an issue for you?
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/17/09 11:48 AM
Add supplies/kit to the tuition fee for Northwestern.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/17/09 01:16 PM
Maxpat

my then 5yr old loved programming and building robots. But they still love the LEGO engineering kits. THey still love playing w/ pulleys and gears and building machines etc. But you know your DD so go w/ your gut.

The engineering kit does come with a motor. Personally I wouldn't buy it w/ out the motor. There are two kits for most of them, one w/ the motor and one w/out.

Regardubg RCXvsNXT. RCX is the old system. Some people still buy it but I wouldn't. There is no support for it and no upgrades to the software. NXT-G is the software which comes w/ the NXT. It based on the Labview platform. Most start w/ NXT-G and if needed, move on to something else such as RoboLab or Labview or any of the other programming languages. I know some view NXT-G as limiting but there are some guys like Jim and XXX (forgot his name) who do some amazing programming in NXT-G. It just takes learning it and figuring out work arounds.

There are 2 software options for NXT-G. The education version and the retail version. The retail version doesn't have the data logging capabilities and real-time graphing that the education version has. I own both programs. My son wrote a great program to measure temperature in old NXT-G but it's really nice to have all the data logging done for you and see the data acquired in real time. I think it was great for him to program the data acquisition from scratch to see what's happening behind the curtains but after that, for quick and easy data acquistion, I like the education version. The retail version though comes with the instructions for building cool robot models.

Then there are two kits. THe retail kit and the education version kit. The sensors are a bit different. AND then there is a new version of the retail kit with zamor shooters, tracks, and other cool things.

Dazey
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/19/09 03:31 AM
The website for Scratch is http://scratch.mit.edu/

I don't remember any issue at all on that site, although I didn't spend a lot of time there after downloading the software and some PDF documentations.

Max
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/28/09 08:23 PM
Maxpat - did you sign up?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/28/09 08:23 PM
Unfortunately, i'm on a first name basis with my LEGO Education rep....unfortunate for my wallet. blush
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 10/31/09 02:32 AM
My DS9 is doing the Scratch Program. He is having a great time and said he is getting good at it. It's great compared to games on the computer that really draw kids in and take forever to finish. He can just stop and save his work. He was due to have something new to do. Thank you again for the suggestion.
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 11/08/09 08:55 PM
sshsearching: thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Dazed: I ordered the online kit I mentioned before. Should arrive next week. I will share findings here shortly.

Also, regarding Scratch, I found out that MIT Lab who designed Scratch was also at the source of the Lego Mindstorms and WeDo development, hence the similar look-and-feel of the interface.

Scratch v1.4 even supports the sensors from the Lego WeDo system for improved interaction!!!

I'll probably get a WeDo set for my daughter's birthday next year... I am also thinking of stating a Junior Lego League team in her school, so by paying $25 registration, you get 20% off the WeDo set or the Engineering base set. Might be worth it regardless if I move on with the idea...

Max

Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 11/09/09 10:37 PM
Thanks Maxpat! Wasn't there a deadline of some time in December to sign up?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 11/10/09 12:54 AM
This website for the LEGO Engineering http://activenet11.active.com/everg...rationMain.sdi?source=activityframes.sdi

has dates for the course. Do you have to sign up during those time periods?
Posted By: MaxPat Re: Online Lego engineering - 11/10/09 03:28 AM
The description says that this is a year around activity to do from home. however, probably due to the format of most activities that are set in time at a given location, they had to put some dates. I actually registered 2 weeks ago, and called a couple of times about the box, and it seems that they had to reorder, and we should get the box this week. With the box, there should be instructions to sign up online to get the class started. It says it's going to be 7 weeks from the time we receive the box and start the class, not sure if it's the limit for online access, or a suggestion to do 7 lessons one each week. Anyway, I will let you know once we get started.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 11/20/09 05:11 PM
Maxpat - did you get the kit? What do you think?
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Online Lego engineering - 12/01/09 03:40 PM
I was wondering if there is a book or something on the web to encourage someone with Scratch?

Also did anyone start the online lego class? I was thinking of the one that came thru evergreen Rec. (I think). How is it going? I'm on the fence about gettting this for DS for Xmas. Does it look like a nice gift when you look at the box and open it up?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 12/01/09 06:05 PM
Maxpat signed up and I'm eagerly awaiting a report!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Online Lego engineering - 12/09/09 07:09 PM
Maxpat - did you get the kit? How's it going?
Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: Online Lego engineering - 05/19/10 01:13 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure what happened to the link, but here is another one: http://www.contedu.org/youth-programs/129-on-line-lego-elementary-engineering-for-kids

In case the link has a pb. again, here is the common class summary they all share:

On-line Lego Elementary Engineering for Kids
Ages 8 and Older
This class is an on-line version of the ever popular Elementary Engineering. Once registered for this course, you will be sent a LEGO� kit with over 1,000 very advanced LEGO� parts and pieces. When you receive the kit in the mail, then you are ready to take the class. Yes, you keep the kit when the class is over! The class consists of engineering theory and instruction plus 6 very complex building exercises. This class is for the serious builder!
The class is 7 weeks in length. Your 7 weeks will begin when you register and pay for the class.

Has anyone here had a child who has gone through this course? A friend would like to try it with her son, but would like some feedback first. She's would especially like to know what the time commitment averages for the class.

Thanks so much.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum