Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JBDad Horrible Book order going in - 09/20/09 02:39 AM
I learned about Ray and the Horrible books through this site. I'm sure that as a lot of new people joined up this school year, they may not all be familiar with Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths, etc. These are books available in the UK, but Ray (www.horriblebooks.com) makes a few orders each year. He's getting ready to place another order (the 27th if I recall) so I wanted to mention it.

No relation to Ray (just a happy customer). The books have been a huge hit here at home so passing it along.

JB
Posted By: Grif Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/20/09 04:03 AM
My kids love the Horrible Histories too!

We've cobbled them together through Amazon used book sales; this appears to be a much simpler way to get them!
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info, JBDad!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 04:48 PM
Yes - thanks JB Dad! I just emailed Ray with an order. (PM me if you want me to mention your name to Ray, in case you get some credit)
Posted By: kimck Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 05:22 PM
I'm intrigued by the history books, but has anyone used them as a base for homeschool history? I'm still debating our history plan for the year (not good - I know). Luckily DS8 is taking a co-op history class on the Medieval era this fall, so I'm not feeling terribly pressured to get a lot of history done right now.
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 05:27 PM
JBDad -- Ditto re: let me know if you get credit from Ray. I just emailed him this morning.
Posted By: JBDad Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 06:50 PM
Thanks for the offer! Just happy to pass along a resource that we've been very happy with.

He's the kind of guy that when our DS accidentally ripped a page out of the book (enthusiastically solving some math maze puzzle), Ray scanned me the page and sent it to me electronically. Great guy.

JB
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 08:29 PM
Ok, since I think I am single-handedly financially supporting Amazon.com (or at least paying for the CEO's teenager's orthodontia), I need to be a little selective about buying more books . . . crazy
What are your top choices?
Posted By: JBDad Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/21/09 08:46 PM
The murderous maths books have been a home run with our mathy DS6. He's only ready three of them, but I'm sure he'll have them all read eventually.

Between my wife and the kids, we have our own library!

Jb
Posted By: S-T Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/22/09 06:06 AM
I am not sure how it works out for shipping to US, but right not, they are having promotions for mega packs which works out to very attractive savings for my friends in Asia if they order 2 mega packs (not exceeding a certain weight). U can email them and find out more. Also when u add the items to the cart, u can see the shipping price changes to decide how much it worthwhile.

http://clubs-shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/76103

http://clubs-shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/74108

http://clubs-shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/74622

http://clubs-shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/73589
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/14/11 05:24 PM
Has anyone seen the science and other books in this series ? I've heard great things abot the math and history books - just wondering about the others (as seen on the Horrible Book website).
Posted By: amylou Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/14/11 05:50 PM
Our twins love love love these books. They really connect with the humorous presentation and irreverence, combined with clear and accurate content. We started with math and science back when they were 7ish (?) yo. We own most of the math and science series, and also some of the geography and history. They are now 11 yo and in middle school, and dd still picks them up for pleasure reading, even after having read them many times over the years. Enjoy!
Posted By: Trina Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/14/11 08:04 PM
my DS loves these books too. We don't have many at the moment but his birthday's in a couple of months wink He has a few histories, ore science and one maths so far. He'd love to have all of them but I don't think that's going to happen.
Posted By: AlexsMom Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/14/11 08:15 PM
My DD8 is an outlier - we have a few of the Murderous Maths, but she doesn't care for them. (She does enjoy The Number Devil and Life of Fred.)
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/14/11 08:52 PM
I am a fan of Horrible Books. I noted that the "Blood-Curdling Box (Horrible Histories)" can also be bought pretty cheaply on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1407108158/ref=dp_olp_new
Posted By: DeHe Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/15/11 01:09 AM
We got DS 5.5 the general science one, science with the squishy bits left in, to try it out - FANTASTIC, my super sciencey guy things it's awesome, we are thinking of buying the boxed set and doling them out! Highly recommended - perfect combo of pictures and not dumbed down science. Can't do the histories just yet, DS is less into history but would be freaked by the gore and stuff. Thinking about the geography one though.

DeHe
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/15/11 02:08 AM
DD6 loves, loves these books...science is by far her favorite ones, she likes the history ones too and I'm ordering the math ones because I've heard alot of good things on those
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Horrible Book order going in - 09/16/11 01:52 PM
Thanks everyone - I think I'll have an order going in this weekend. I've also recommended them to my son's school (a Math, Science and Technology school) smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum