Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Tiz What level to start Aleks? - 03/26/09 03:52 PM
Hi, In a bid to tire my son I am going to sign up to Aleks Maths and see how it goes over his 4 week Easter holiday! I just can't figure out what course to choose when I sign up - my DS is (almost 7) but we are in the UK so I don't know what Grade that would be and then he is fairly advanced at Maths... does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

XX
Posted By: lilswee Re: What level to start Aleks? - 03/26/09 07:52 PM
We started at Lv 3 but you might want to start Lv 4 and see. I noticed when we moved up (fairly quickly) that a lot was repeated in Lv 4 and DD8 (just turned) got credit for a lot in Lv 4 as well. One thing to know is that it will give him an assessment when you start and the website tells you (not sure where I read this) if they score above 90% on the initial assessment to move them up. But even it's above 70-80% it will go pretty quickly. I think we started Lv 3 at maybe 60-70% range and finished the first level pretty quickly only doing maybe 15-20 min 3-4 days/week.
Posted By: Tiz Re: What level to start Aleks? - 03/26/09 10:44 PM
Thanks mschaff, I will go for Lv4 and see what happens with the initial assessment. It is good to know that there is flexibility to move levels if necessary.
Posted By: Ania Re: What level to start Aleks? - 03/28/09 03:50 AM
Or you can have him take a pre-test and start at where he is now...
Posted By: Tiz Re: What level to start Aleks? - 03/28/09 09:41 AM
Thanks Ania, I didn't realise that there was a pre-test but I have finally done it and signed him up on Lv4 and it seemed to be right for him as he completed 80% of his pie - this pie thing is brilliant, it really seems to motivate him! He is now just working through all the bits he doesn't know. I am really impressed with Aleks so far and it seems to be a great way of keeping DS occupied!

XX
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum