Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kriston Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 02:13 AM
Someone posted this to another list I'm on, and I wanted to share it. It's GREAT fun! I especially like that the puzzles section offers no directions. Not only is it wonderful pre-algebra work, but it's a bit of a brain-teaser to even figure out what you need to do to solve the puzzle.

And DS7 is thrilled with the icky factor, monsters, eyeballs, etc. Great fun!

http://labyrinth.thinkport.org

My only concern is that since he's doing so well on this, does that mean I need to line up algebra for him next year? eek

GT denial, take me away!
Posted By: LMom Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 02:18 AM
Now seeing it on two places may do it for me smile We will try it tomorrow.

DS6 can do logarithms now. Talk about GT denial frown
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 02:18 AM
I loved the bulldogs saying "WE need to meet kids where they are. Not where we think they should be."
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 02:21 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but having a total little math geek in a house full of non mathy geeks is interesting. He'll have to start tutoring me soon. I'm sure he'll just love this!

Thanks Kriston!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 09:30 AM
cool- the 'library' page on that site has a lot of great articles, too! Thanks!
Posted By: JBDad Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 02:04 PM
Thanks K--always looking for these types of resources!

JB
Posted By: crisc Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 03:05 PM
DS6 really enjoyed playing one of the puzzles. He can't wait till we get home after piano lessons to play some more. Thanks for the link!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/26/09 03:10 PM
You're welcome! Happy to pass it on! smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/28/09 02:21 AM
We are both hooked on the puzzles but are so stumped on the gardening one. I thought we had the hang of it but sadly no. We seem to be stuck. Anyone with a little hint for us?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/28/09 12:04 PM
My DS8 has been really enjoying it as well! I'm not sure he has gotten to the gardening puzzle yet.

After fighting for 3 days (5minutes at a time lol) w/ a Sudoku puzzle which is the toughest level in this book, and feeling the elation when I finally go it, I'm trying very hard not to help DS w/ this game but I like playing along with him. Ha Ha Ha.

He is stuck on one of the cafeteria puzzles. The first ones were easy but this one is not readily obvious, at least not to us lol.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/28/09 01:36 PM
DS7 has been doing these on his own, crisc, so I can't help you. Sorry!

Is anyone else doing the whole game and not just working the puzzles? I'm curious what you think of that. DS7 is trying it that way, and he's often not sure what he's supposed to do...

That's good for him, I think!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/28/09 01:47 PM
DS8 is doing the whole game. It may take him a few minutes but he usually figures it out. I, not thinking, gave him a hint on one. I was trying to figure out the puzzle where you hit the walls w/ the shapes to explode the walls to get at the jewel. I said, I thought silently, oh that's a triangle...finally realizing the shapes were each different. DS then has a light bulb moment and goes 3,6,9,12,15 OH I get it now, it's not random! LOL. Ooops...

I read on the website that they intend for the kids to figure out as they go along. I'm usually close by to bounce ideas off of or to ask leading questions such as "I wonder why that door is lit up?" lol.
Posted By: crisc Re: Free pre-algebra puzzle/game site - 02/28/09 05:11 PM
We were just doing the puzzles together. He started the game but decided that he wanted to just play each of the puzzles first--almost to prepare himself. I have found that sometimes I need to give him a small hint and then I see the lightbulb moment.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum