Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Confusedmommy Math club resource recommendations - 03/01/18 11:51 AM
Hi. My daughter is in 4th grade and while she finds math too easy, many of her friends are struggling. The kids and their moms are getting frustrated and starting to hate math. As a female engineer, it is heartbreaking for me to see young girls turn away from math. So I suggested that I would run a math club this summer for the girls where we would learn to fall in love with numbers. I don't want it to be a tutoring class with worksheets and curriculum. I want it to be fun so the girls can become confident in their math and problem solving abilities. And that's why I'm here. I am hoping you guys can recommend some good resources for me. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Math club resource recommendations - 03/05/18 09:02 PM
Check out the Math for Love guys in Seattle - I suspect they have exactly what you are looking for.
Posted By: Confusedmommy Re: Math club resource recommendations - 03/05/18 09:51 PM
Thank you ElizabethN. I joined their mailing list and browsed through the free stuff- got some neat ideas. The curriculum is $95 so I might purchase but will definitely be using the free lessons. The site had a couple of board games that looked interesting. Are there other math oriented board games that you/your kids like?
Posted By: Confusedmommy Re: Math club resource recommendations - 03/05/18 11:29 PM
Thanks Portia. I love the resources on the website. My daughter will enjoy the challenge but even level 1 might be too hard for the other kids. They are struggling with division and fractions so specific games/resources for those concepts would also help.
Posted By: Flyingmouse Re: Math club resource recommendations - 03/06/18 01:25 AM
Here is a collection of resources: http://mymathclub.blogspot.com/
Posted By: Confusedmommy Re: Math club resource recommendations - 03/07/18 12:04 PM
Thanks Flyingmouse. I have to brush up on my math to solve some of problems on the site laugh would you know of a similar resource site for elementary math?
Posted By: devenor Re: Math club resource recommendations - 04/11/18 11:39 AM
I always recommend to all WolframAlfa for any level of knowledge. This is a very good resource both for studying the basics of mathematics, and for those who want to improve their level. Also, pay attention to the site assignment.essayshark.com/math-help, because here you can perform a specific assignments with the help of a mentor or find useful information in the blog. Khan Academy can also be useful to beginners, since there are courses designed for any level of preparation. From the books I advise "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers. It will help to trace the development of modern mathematics, explain the main terms and concepts, to study the basic ideas in the basic fields of mathematics.
Posted By: Confusedmommy Re: Math club resource recommendations - 04/15/18 03:45 AM
Thanks devenor. I�m sorry I didn�t reply earlier as I am not on this site often. I have used Khan academy videos but the other resources were new to me. Will definitely check them out.
Posted By: gonshonmargo Re: Math club resource recommendations - 04/27/23 09:09 AM
That's a great initiative! For a fun and engaging summer math club, you could consider incorporating capstone projects where the girls can apply their problem-solving skills to real-world situations. Some resources to check out include MathCounts, Khan Academy, and the National Math Foundation. Best of luck with your club!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum