Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: aeh Duolingo Japanese-for-English-speakers - 05/18/17 02:03 AM
So I don't really have much to say about this, not having tried the Japanese module specifically. I'm just posting as an FYI, because someone somewhere some time asked me about free/low cost online resources for learning Japanese (I'm not even 100% sure it was on this forum--my apologies if it was, and I can't remember who you are!).

Anyway, Duolingo just added Japanese-for-English-speakers to the latest update of their free app. I have actually used Duolingo for other languages, not really to acquire proficiency, but just for fun, so I can say that I like the general platform and approach, at least for someone with a casual interest in a language. I also have friends who are language teachers, who do find it to have some utility, and enjoy the gamified elements.
Posted By: Cookie Re: Duolingo Japanese-for-English-speakers - 05/18/17 11:31 AM
My son is interested in Japanese and I told you he hated Rosetta Stone and you mentioned this was coming soon. Thanks for letting me know it is out!
Posted By: aeh Re: Duolingo Japanese-for-English-speakers - 05/18/17 04:58 PM
Should have remembered it was you, Cookie! Glad to help.
Posted By: Aufilia Re: Duolingo Japanese-for-English-speakers - 08/09/17 10:58 PM
This may not be relevant to Cookie anymore smile but I recently discovered that we have access to Mango language learning programs online through our local public library. I only discovered this by accident and wouldn't have thought to ever look there. Anyway, YMMV, don't forget to check what your library offers. smile
Posted By: Cookie Re: Duolingo Japanese-for-English-speakers - 08/10/17 07:04 PM
He is still into Japanese. Thanks. I think he used Mango through our library at one point. I'll get with him about his Japanese this weekend and see where he is.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum