Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Portia AoPS Grades - 10/21/16 02:17 PM
Hello,
Could someone explain the grading system at AoPS? DS has blue everywhere. When I calculate based on his points, he seems to have a score which does not seem like it would be "blue" to me.

We will also need this grade for his transcript. Do they give a letter grade or a number grade?

Thanks!
Posted By: ChaosMitten Re: AoPS Grades - 10/21/16 04:08 PM
Blue is good.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/community/c70t46182f70h1314503s1_grading_on_aops
Posted By: ladydd Re: AoPS Grades - 10/21/16 05:49 PM
Btw can kids get 100% on Alcumus? My DS gives up immediately after he reached to 96%.
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: AoPS Grades - 10/27/16 03:01 PM
They will provide a letter grade at your request. They don't guarantee it but it looks like you can get an A with a combination of green and blue. Although they mentioned contribution in class and on the forum as part of the determination, I imagine that you should get an A even without contributions if you have all blue in all four categories every week. As for an A+, I am not sure if just all blue will do it.

There is a huge range for blue. As far as I can tell, it is not based on a pure percentage but takes into account the difficulty levels of the problems that week. I do know that it is possible (at least sometimes) to reach blue after completing only 6 of 9 challenge problems if you get it correct on the first try. Similarly, I know that you can still get a blue on a proof with only 6.5 out of 8 possible points. We only have experience with Algebra 2 and Geometry so not sure if it is true across the board.

I believe that grading is "easy" because the material is supposed to be hard and AoPS wants to discourage the 100% mindset.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum