Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raevyn Horror/Scary Media - 06/29/16 06:11 PM
I'm reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". It's not really my genre, but the book is pretty interesting. I want to read some of Stephen King's work eventually, also.

What horror books or movies do you or your kids recommend?
Posted By: longcut Re: Horror/Scary Media - 06/29/16 08:07 PM
I'm not sure what's current, but when I was a teen, I was very much into Stephen King books, like Carrie, Cujo, The Shining, Christine. I started watching King movies pretty young, too. I was 12 when I saw Children of the Corn. These days that all gives me the creeps, movies like Paranormal Activity. I like a good thriller or mystery, but not horror.
Posted By: NotherBen Re: Horror/Scary Media - 06/29/16 09:21 PM
I was at school in the Alps, and the dorm was an old hotel that had previously been a TB sanitarium. 'Most everyone else had gone off on a ski weekend, but I stayed behind to enjoy the peace and quiet. The book I chose to read: The Shining. Never been so jumpy in my life.

I also read Jaws on my first trip to Florida beaches. Yeah, I make some bad choices.

My son found Mary Poppins a bit scary, the part where they all float up to the ceiling laughing. And a Lady and the Tramp scene where the Siamese cats are prowling and singing creeps both of us out.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Horror/Scary Media - 06/30/16 11:30 AM
hilarious camp mashup of 'reality/documentary' genre and horror: "What We Do in the Shadows"

so basically I only engage in horror when it is obviously NOT horrifying, but I've always been that way.

Zombieland is another that falls into that category.

@NotherBen - reminds me of a recent flight I took where I was reading science fiction novel, however a good chunk of the plot focused on a PLANE WRECK in pretty high detail. Bad choice.

Also, just heard this: one of my ds10's friends - same age - just got a VR headset with some kind of horror-game, so not only are you following a horror story you are in it. Egads - no way. But the kids like it, I guess.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum