Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
LEGO Education Announces WeDo robotics coming in January 2009

Designed for ages 7-11+, WeDo robotics engages children in hands-on technology experiments that focus on science, math, social studies, and language concepts.

Developed as an intro to robotics, WeDOo Robotics fits well into the LEGO MINDSTORMS robotic line. WeDo, which remains connected to the computer at all times, helps create a clear link between the virtual world (computers and programming) and the physical world (represented by LEGO models).

Through the use of icon-based programming software, students quickly and easily learn how to write and download porgrams to their LEGO creations. The basics of programming, engineering, and constructing are all part of the process.

My understanding is that it's using similar software to the NXT but this stays tethered to the computer so is probably deriving it's power from the computer. There appears to be no NXT brick. So you're controlling motors and sensors (tilt sensor, motion sensor) through the computer. I think this is supposed to be a lower cost option for schools and families compared to the NXT. I see at the website it's priced at $129.95. If I didn't already have NXT kits, I'd get this for DS5! The ages 7-11+ wouldn't apply to kids at this board. My DS4 could build and program the NXT at 4yrs old.

LEGO Education is supposed to be adjusting it's prices in January so if you want something from LEGO education, I'd order in December as it's likely that prices are going up rather than down.

Here's the link. http://www.legoeducation.com/store/...by=9&ID=1573&c=1&t=0&l=0
Posted By: JBDad Re: LEGO Education announces WeDo Robotics - 11/23/08 04:39 PM
Looks good. Too bad it's not going to be available for xmas, but DS's birthday isn't too much after the launch date. I'm looking for it on their online store now...

Thanks for posting the link.

JB
I posted the link above JBDad.
Posted By: JBDad Re: LEGO Education announces WeDo Robotics - 11/23/08 10:04 PM
Well... I never claimed I was gifted smile

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: LEGO Education announces WeDo Robotics - 11/23/08 10:05 PM
<snicker> smile
laugh blush

Did that come off as snooty? LOL. Didn't mean it that way. smile
Posted By: JBDad Re: LEGO Education announces WeDo Robotics - 11/23/08 10:24 PM
eye know...

And it's didn't wink

JB
Posted By: EastnWest Re: LEGO Education announces WeDo Robotics - 01/25/10 08:28 PM
has anyone tried wedo system?. I read the descriptions on the lego education site and here in old posts. My ds is 5.5, possibly MG. no prior experience with robotics.

thanks.
No I haven't tried it. If you check the NXTSTEP blog I believe someone there did a review of it several months ago.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum