Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: mom2R&R What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 02:11 PM
I'm hoping to tap into the great sea of experience on this board. My DS6 consumes Magic Tree House books, sometimes in one sitting. I'm glad he enjoys them, but he's close to finishing the series and I think it's time for something slightly more difficult. What I really appreciate about Magic Tree House is that there are some great nonfiction facts thrown in and most importantly, it's not too mature or scary. I would prefer books whose characters are not in middle school and dealing with boy/girl issues. He read one of the "I survived" series on Hurricane Katrina, but now is anxious about a hurricane hitting our house :-/ Any suggestions?
Posted By: funtimes Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 02:43 PM
My DS 7 loves the BoxCar series. Worth a look!
Posted By: Flyingmouse Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 02:57 PM
Secrets of Droon?
DK Biographies or the Who Was series (both are series of biographies. The Who Was is at a lower reading level).
If he likes little boy humor (farts and burps), I strongly recommend the George Brown Class Clown series. I loved hearing my child laugh while reading. At that age, even though he was more then capable of longer books, he still wanted pictures every few pages. He is now finishing up the last of Rick Riordan series of books (there are several series including Percy Jackson).
Posted By: mom2R&R Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 03:33 PM
funtimes- I do think he might like those, I loved them as a kid, thank you! I may just skip the first book, I remember worrying about what would happen to me if both my parents died like in the book.
Posted By: mom2R&R Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 03:35 PM
frannieandejsmom- Those are new to me, I'll check them out. Thank you!
Posted By: mom2R&R Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 03:36 PM
flyingmouse- I've never heard of those, thank you! I'll make a list to take to the library this week :-)
Posted By: George C Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 03:59 PM
My DS went straight into Harry Potter when he was done with Magic Tree House (he was almost 7). Another thing he loved was Encyclopedia Brown.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 04:05 PM
My DD enjoyed the Geronimo Stilton books which also have a lot of history woven into the tales.
Posted By: Kombre Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 04:08 PM
Ramona series, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Henry series, etc (Beverly Cleary)
Sideways Stories from Wayside School series (Louis Sachar)
Jenny and the Cat Club series (oldie but goodie)
World According to Humphrey
Secrets of Droon
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)
James and the Giant Peach (same)
Matilda (same) - dark, but can really speak to gifted kids

Posted By: ultramarina Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 04:36 PM
Check out the book recommendations thread in Resources. smile
Posted By: ashley Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Flyingmouse
Secrets of Droon?
DS picked the Droon series up immediately after MTH series.
The next was the "Flat Stanley" series.
I believe the next ones were the Ron Roy Mystery series : http://www.ronroy.com/books_atoz.html
and then the "Heroes in Training series" - http://www.simonandschuster.com/series/Heroes-in-Training
Posted By: Jewel Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 06:54 PM
A-Z Mysteries by Ron Roy, in addition to other suggestions listed here.
Posted By: Kai Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 07:08 PM
Boxcar Children
Beverly Cleary
Roald Dahl
Posted By: cmguy Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 08:11 PM
"Zeke Meeks"

There are a ton of them. Not sure if this would after magic treehouse, but they are fun and silly books for DS5.
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by cmguy
"Zeke Meeks"

There are a ton of them. Not sure if this would after magic treehouse, but they are fun and silly books for DS5.

Yes! Our (newly speedy reader) five-year-old just read all of them. He proclaimed "I am a big fan of Zeke Meeks!"
Posted By: longcut Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 02/29/16 10:57 PM
Not yet mentioned above: Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton, etc, there are several series) tends to appeal to MTH readers. Calendar Mysteries (similar to A-Z Mysteries, but I believe younger audience). The 13 Story Treehouse series (3).
Hank Zipper by Henry Winkler !
Posted By: _Angie_ Re: What next after Magic Tree House? - 03/01/16 05:39 AM
I've been meaning to look at a list like this. My MTH kiddo has been tearing through Boxcar Children and has some anxiety every time he finishes a book about what will come next. There are plenty of books child! It will be okay! smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum