Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
So my son is peaking an interest in stars. What's the best way to show him the scale of the solar system how all the planets rotate around the sun? I searched on youtube but couldn't really find much that was his level. The only thing that helped was a vid that showed the different planets and moons and how their size compared to each other. The look on my son's face was priceless when he saw Saturn compared to earth, then he saw Neptune, then Jupiter, then the Sun. He was just blown away! I want to keep showing more cool things to him but astronomy is not my forte. Thanks in advance!
My DS really loved They Might Be Giants - Here Comes Science at that age. That has songs about the solar system, about the nature of the sun, and other science-related things that are presented in a whimsical (yet accurate) way.

He would repeatedly watch the DVD... like twice a day.
NASA website?

There is a video I saw that had cars going around a sun in a scale model in Nevada desert.

Some cities have scale models of the solar system like this one:

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/community-solar-system-trail-boston-museum-of-science

There is an interactive app that DD loved around that age. I can't remeber its name but will look it up if you are not anti- screen time.
My kids used to love Magic School Bus videos. There is one about the Solar System. It's over 20 years old so not up to date but still fun for this age. Not sure where to buy it we used to watch it on PBS and had many of the shows on video.
I noticed this weekend that our local teaching supply store had several models of the planets.
The Magic School Bus original episode on the solar system is a currently streaming Netflix program (episode 1, first season). Our public library also has them on DVD.

Incidentally, I read they are going to run 26 digitally animated episodes of the show rebooted on Netflix in 2017.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum