Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: CoastalMom Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/02/15 11:07 PM
I'm looking for graphic novel recommendations for DS9, almost 10. He has read the Amulet books, many Tin Tins, lots of comics (particularly Calvin & Hobbes) and a truckload of Geronimo Stiltons. It's not a category I'm familiar with, so I could really use some help. He's an avid reader of non-fiction, but less keen on fiction and I'm hoping graphic novels will bridge the gap. Many thanks.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/02/15 11:23 PM
My daughter loves Sluggy Freelance, which has the advantage of being free on the web, and definitely not girly. Most of the other graphic novels that she loves are probably too girly to attract a 9-year-old boy, but in case any parents of girls read this, I highly recommend Roller Girl and Princeless.
Posted By: suevv Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/02/15 11:29 PM
The Olympians (Greek God graphic novels) by George O'Connor.

Bone (graphic novel series) by Jeff Smith

Monsters Beware and Dragons Beware by Jorge Aguirre

13-Story Treehouse (and 26-story and 39-story sequels) by Andy Griffith.

There are also graphic novels of some of the Percy Jackson books, but those books are so good I would hold out for your son to read them in original form. They'd be a good foundation for the other end of your bridge to fiction. They (along with Magic the Gathering cards) were really the reason DS7 "decided" to learn to read.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 12:33 AM
Asterix.
Posted By: CoastalMom Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 12:50 AM
ElizabethN, DS will have to fight me for the computer to read Sluggy Freelance, it's fantastic! Thanks & I'll look at the others for DD7.

suevv, DS has read the Lightning Thief and is sloooowly reading Sea of Monsters. I agree they're too good to go with the graphic versions, but he's really liking the Greek mythology so I'll try the O'Connor series and the others. Thanks for the recommendations.

DeeDee, how could I have forgotten Asterix?! I loved those books. Thanks for reminding me.
Posted By: CoastalMom Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 12:52 AM
If there's any interest, I could edit my first post to keep a running list as with the other book recommendation threads.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 01:21 AM
Little Vampire by Joann Sfar and Sardine are some more off the wall that my DD has enjoyed.

She also gobbled up the Percy Jackson graphicnovels after devouring the regular ones. Artemis Fowl, ditto.

Asterix comics are great and also Marvel comics. I got her a Marvel encyclopedia at a yard sale once because of her passion at the time for mythology, like a horror film grimoire it has become a part of her very soul in that she can rattle off Marvel character trivia till the cows come home.

I see Comic Cons and geek feats aplenty in her future...
Posted By: cricket3 Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 01:27 AM
You might want to do a search- i remember at least one lengthy thread on the topic, but it was probably more than a year ago...
Posted By: cmguy Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 01:48 AM
"Rapunzel's Revenge" by Shannon Hale.

A youthful relative of mine could not put this (or the sequel) down. It is not the traditional take on Rapunzel ...
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by CoastalMom
ElizabethN, DS will have to fight me for the computer to read Sluggy Freelance, it's fantastic! Thanks & I'll look at the others for DD7.

My husband (who is the source for both of these for me) reminded me that it's actually not Sluggy Freelance that she's addicted to, but Schlock Mercenary. I hope you guys enjoy both. smile
Posted By: longcut Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 03:16 AM
My DS and DD love the Zita the Spacegirl series, the Warriors graphic novels (there are regular long novels, too; it's clans of cats), Amelia Rules, anything by Raina Telgemeier, Transformers GN series. There's a cool GN version of A Wrinkle in Time. Via recommendation on a Zita book review, we found a series that starts with "The Search for WondLa" that isn't GN but has cool art at each chapter start; great read-aloud fun.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 03:59 AM
Ooh, yes, DS7 loved the GN version of A Wrinkle in Time - I'd forgotten that one.

Again, more of a girl book, but I Am Princess X is sort of a hybrid between a graphic novel and a chapter book that might appeal.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 11:02 AM
Logicomix was one that my DD enjoyed and understood a surprising amount of.

Some of the others listed above may find their way under the Christmas tree this year so keep them coming folks!
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 01:16 PM
All the Geronimo Stilton books are still a huge hit with DS9... although he's been reading at a much higher level for years, he loves these and always wants the new ones as soon as they hit the library's shelves. DS5 doesn't read yet but loves the pictures.
Posted By: eco21268 Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/03/15 01:37 PM
My DD loved the Percy Jackson graphic novels--I have resisted graphic novels, generally, but decided I was being stubborn. She has pretty severe amblyopia and is quite far-sighted and I think reading is tiring for her. Somehow the graphic format seems to help with engagement.
Posted By: longcut Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/04/15 03:31 AM
Speaking of Geronimo Stilton, there is a Kingdom of Fantasy series that appeals to those who want a longer read, like my DS. Same format, but much thicker books. They also have an actual graphic novel series for Geronimo Stilton as well as Thea Stilton, not just the pictures with visual text books, published by Papercutz.
Posted By: LAF Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/06/15 04:59 PM
I just found this article which may be of interest

http://beyondiq.camp9.org/Resources/Documents/KBrownGraphicNovelsGiftedEd.pdf
Posted By: atticcat Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 09/06/15 07:09 PM
We pick this up for DD9 after finding it here.She like.I also pickup Indian in a Cupboard that was liked.
Posted By: CoastalMom Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 11/06/15 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. DS10, and DD7, hoovered up the Bone series and the Olympians. I've begun strewing the others (can't figure out why The Warriors didn't get picked up immediately) and enjoying my own online comic fix(!).

DS10 has also been reading The Elsewhere Chronicles, which he says is similar to Amulet. I found a graphic version of The Golden Compass today, no reviews yet but it looked intriguing.

LAF, that article was really interesting, thank you. I've been trying to track down some of the works it referenced, so far unsuccessfully but I haven't put much elbow grease into it yet.
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 11/07/15 01:56 PM
Mine are crazy about Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales. The Donner Dinner Party is in heavy rotation.
They also enjoy "The Brilliant World of Tom Gates."
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 11/07/15 11:10 PM
Thanks for that link, LAF.

Soulless may be just the thing for my DD10...
Posted By: suevv Re: Graphic novel recommendations? - 11/08/15 11:51 PM
Oh - I don't know why I didn't think of this one before: Stickman Odyssey by Christopher Ford. Two volumes - have been read over and over by DS8.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum