Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Hi all dd5 wants to make a study of all the British kings and queens. I like the horrible histories series but dd wants more focus on the not so gross stuff - any ideas? We have limited internet right now so just books thanks
DK books are often a hit. There's one on The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland... amazon offers the look-inside feature for a quick preview.
Thanks
There was/is a series of royal biographies aimed a children... but this was many years ago. Might your local library have it?
E. Nesbit "Royal Children of British History" is available for download on Gutenberg. Not exactly about the crowned heads, but might be a fun read all the same.
Ok so now I have internet again (phew) I've decided to do a term on medieval England rather than just kings and queens, that we way we have enough scope for age appropriate materials / activities. Just too much focus on war and beheadings otherwise!!
Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
Ok so now I have internet again (phew) I've decided to do a term on medieval England rather than just kings and queens, that we way we have enough scope for age appropriate materials / activities. Just too much focus on war and beheadings otherwise!!

But MOMMMM. The war and beheadings are the best part!!!
I know😏 she is only 5 though....
Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
I know😏 she is only 5 though....
Lol, I hear you. My DD, now 15, was obsessed with Queen Elizabeth when she was about 8. Her teacher go so tired of everything being about QE that she told my DD she could not pick QE for a report but that could pick a family member. DD picked QE's mom, Anne Boleyn. At the time there were no kid-friendly biographies of AB (don't know if there are now). I ended up getting her some college level books (she could read at that level but comprehension was a little more iffy). I pre-read them for her to try to edit out the highly age-inappropriate stuff. Yikes, that was quite an exercise.
I'm hoping to distract and entertain through the magic of craft and fun activities....

Seriously though, it is really hard to find age appropriate material that isn't just this is a ____, this is a ____.

Anyway working through it - I really think we can have a lot of fun with this!
My son Loved his 100 dollar lego castle set. Of course it took him 2 days to put it together so 50 dollars a day entertainment. But maybe at 5 you could drag it out over two weeks? But it is pretty cool. And Playmobil usually has cool sets too
If your internet has become less limited, The Official Website of the British Monarchy may be of interest.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum