Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Portia Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/02/15 11:29 PM
Youth Digital is offering another class with the homeschool coop. The other ones I've seen have been around building your own mod. This one is build your own server in Minecraft. Thought it might be of interest to several in the group.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.o...ampaign=HSBC-2015-07-02&utm_medium=email
Posted By: ljoy Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/03/15 01:44 AM
I'm unclear - why would one want/need to set up a server? My kids play on a local wi-fi network together, what's the difference?
A server allows your kids to play with their friends online wherever they are physically located, so they can play together. Mine love to Skype friends while playing in a common Minecraft "place". With your own server, you can control who is allowed on, set rules, and throw out anyone who won't follow them. That said, you can also find existing servers out there where kids are only allowed in on application and the play/ commentary is adult monitored.
In addition to what Platypus101 posted, you can also pay a monthly fee to get your own "server" (actually a sub area of a commercial server), so your kids can restrict access to only their friends and have administrator privileges to set rules and distribute resources, etc. DS/DD have enjoyed this option the most. I would not be comfortable hosting/allowing access to our network to numerous kids even if they are friends of my kids.
Posted By: ljoy Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/04/15 06:19 AM
Thanks all.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/05/15 07:17 AM
I don't quite understand the pricing thing. It says "save up to 40%" at the top and in the pricing chart, which brings it down to $149.99, but in the text of the article, it says "save up to 50% and pay $124.99". And it's currently at $199.99, apparently because not enough people have bought it yet? Is that for a particular group from here, or is that a general price overall? And how do you get to be part of the group?
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/05/15 08:15 PM
Thanks!

In your experience, are they likely to get enough for the deep discount? It says they have two so far, which makes it seem unlikely, but I've never been there before.
If you want a number of the courses for $149 (40% off) immediately and without the small processing fee normally charged by Homeschool Co-op, try the Groupon offer. If you are interested in the 3d game design courses, you can get both course 1 and course 2 for a total of $249 (50% off).
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/06/15 11:05 PM
Thank you for that, Quantum. I can find the Mod course on Groupon, but I don't see the Server course. Am I missing something there, or is it maybe not offered anymore?

And do you have a link to the 3d game design courses you mentioned?

smile
Originally Posted by Nautigal
Thank you for that, Quantum. I can find the Mod course on Groupon, but I don't see the Server course. Am I missing something there, or is it maybe not offered anymore?

And do you have a link to the 3d game design courses you mentioned?

smile

The link for the two courses on 3D video game design for $249 is here:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/youth-digital-us-1-ottawa

Different courses are offered at different times. I saw different courses such as fashion design and mobile app. I am not sure if they have a discount on the server course at present. For some reason, Groupon is not good as linking the offers from the same merchant so I usually use Google and sometimes have to dig a little.

Posted By: Nautigal Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/09/15 12:16 AM
Awesome, thanks! I ordered the Mod one for him as an early birthday present, and he's plowing through it. He'll probably be done by his birthday, early in September. laugh

He's been looking for Java programming, as opposed to Javascript, so he's in hog heaven now.

And he doesn't realize I just put him in school in the summertime. :p
Posted By: Labmom Re: Youth Digital Server Class (Minecraft) - 07/14/15 11:26 PM
Just an FYI...you can enter the code ZD40 at checkout now and get $100 off of any of their programs right now.....
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum