Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bina recommendation for spatial abilities? - 02/16/15 01:53 PM
Hi, my son is really good at spatial abilities. I recently found out about STMATH (a spatial ability program that helps kids learn math), I would love to buy that for him to use. However, this program is only available to schools and our state does not have it.
Does anyone have suggestions for any enrichment for kids that have excellent spatial abilities? thanks.
Games! Chess comes to mind, but there are many great other choices. The game field has really exploded. The company Thinkfun makes many delightful games that emphasize spatial skills.
Posted By: cmguy Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 02/19/15 03:30 PM
Penguins on Ice from SmartGames may be fun.
Try BluePrint 3D or Foldit for fun although it's on the computer and may redundant for someone who is already really good with spatial abilities.
Posted By: it_is_2day Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 03/01/15 04:13 AM
Probabilities, graph theory, real data analysis, real world math problems. Math that gets to the heart of something that is very important to the child. The less contrived the better.

Some of these math concepts seem above a younger child's ability, but most of these math concepts, I believe can be taught at a easy level to some younger kids.
Posted By: indigo Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 03/01/15 10:33 PM
The Visual-Spatial website has a list of recommended math resources, educational websites, and materials which may be of interest.
Originally Posted by cmguy
Penguins on Ice from SmartGames may be fun.

This is fun. I found it to be very hard myself. But my strength is decidedly not visual spatial.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 03/02/15 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by indigo
The Visual-Spatial website has a list of recommended math resources, educational websites, and materials which may be of interest.

Including quite a lot of pseudoscience. IMO.
Posted By: indigo Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 03/02/15 01:36 PM
DeeDee, to increase the helpfulness of your post, might you share your thoughts as to which information on which of the recommended math resources, educational websites, and materials may be "pseudoscience"?

Or possibly you are speaking in general, extending the debate of a thread on debunking the existence of learning strengths and preferences to this thread?

Thank you in advance for any clarification you may wish to provide.
Posted By: Kai Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 03/02/15 02:36 PM
(Just to let you know, in my opinion, you're not missing much with ST Math.)

As for nurturing spatial abilities, we found that building toys and actual building projects did the trick.
Posted By: aeh Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 07/02/15 02:09 AM
Just adding http://paperrollercoasters.com/ to this thread, for future reference. A very cool set of templates (you can buy the files or preprinted paper) for building your own marble runs out of heavy paper.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 07/04/15 01:40 PM
Aeh,

Thanks!

Just got one of those sets - I know that my DW and I will enjoy it even if DD does not (unlikely) LOL
Posted By: CalvinsDad Re: recommendation for spatial abilities? - 07/04/15 02:13 PM
My DS16 has always loved origami and games such as Portal & Minecraft. And DD13 has a bunch of the 3D crystal puzzles sold on Amazon, she loves to build them over and over. Also, DD13 loves to make jewelry with intricate patterns. Also, sculpture and drawing are big favs.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum