Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: greenlotus Create a website from scratch for kids - 02/10/15 05:05 PM
My daughter wants to have her own website where other kids can send in artwork and stories. She has designed a site on Weebly, but it turns out that only the pro version can accept files from outsiders so Weebly is not working. So, we need a kid friendly, safe, cheap website for a 9 year old (she has exceptional computer skills so it can be aimed at older kids).
Thanks!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Create a website from scratch for kids - 02/16/15 08:09 PM
I think one's Internet Service Provider typically provides some space for customers to host small web sites.
I asked my son who now hosts minecraft severs and forums if he knew what you could do(I personally do not know.. he also loves programming). He said you could get a small shared hosting provider such as host gator then install wordpress. Both of these things are very easy to use after reading the documentation.

WordPress is a free version of weebly that you need to host yourself. Host gator is a way to host WordPress (and other things).
Posted By: indigo Re: Create a website from scratch for kids - 02/16/15 11:45 PM
we need a kid friendly, safe, cheap website for a 9 year old
Some may say there is no guarantee of a safe web presence for a 9-year-old, and many sites limit usage to individuals 13 and older. You've probably already thought of these things:
- Prior to posting a child's work online, it may be wise to obtain parental permission.
- To protect a child's anonymity, you may wish to publish only a child's first name and last initial, not the child's school or state or photo.
- Content posted on the internet is often copied.
- How to handle hurt feelings of a child whose work is not selected for posting?
- Some providers reserve the right to post ads on your website.
- Once a website account is created, some providers may not allow you to completely delete or remove the website and/or content.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum