Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NikiHarp Reading Curriculum? - 01/30/15 08:51 PM
I feel like this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Do I need a reading curriculum for my HG DS8? I started homeschooling a couple of weeks ago and all is well, so far. As I think about next year, I'm wondering if I need to address reading as a subject. I like having a curriculum to serve as a guide, but reading the standard passages in a third grade curriculum isn't going to work. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: KnittingMama Re: Reading Curriculum? - 02/02/15 03:30 PM
Following! DD7 loves to write, but recently cited Language Arts as her least favorite subject (she says it's boring and too easy). And she's right; the grammar we do *is* pretty boring, spelling is probably too easy, and we have no reading curriculum.

Time to look for some MCT threads; those books have always confused me (where to start, which books are optional, etc).
Posted By: indigo Re: Reading Curriculum? - 02/02/15 03:38 PM
In case it helps, here's the link to MCT at Royal Fireworks Press, with their implementation guide and "recommendations for how and when to introduce the parts of the curriculum."
Posted By: NikiHarp Re: Reading Curriculum? - 02/04/15 01:40 PM
We plan on using MCT next year. KnittingMama, I agree with it being a little confusing. I've decided to just go for it since it comes so highly regarded.

I guess I was wondering more about reading curriculum, specifically. For example, main idea, theme, setting, characters, plot, etc. He can read very well, but I don't know how much of these items he has covered or needs to cover. We have read three books since he's been home from public school and I think we may just start incorporating setting, theme, etc into our conversation. I'm just afraid of missing something wink
Posted By: NikiHarp Re: Reading Curriculum? - 02/05/15 02:20 PM
Thanks, Portia. This looks great!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum