Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: tao physics resources - 09/16/14 09:56 PM
DS loves Life of Fred: Elementary Physics. Can anyone recommend books or other resources as next steps?
Thank you in advance.
Posted By: arlen1 Re: physics resources - 09/17/14 12:53 AM
"The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Guide-Physics-Larry-Gonick/dp/0062731009

"GREAT, OUTSTANDING, FUN TO READ, WELL ORGANIZED and EXPLAINS a lot about the every day physics we live in".
Posted By: ohmathmom Re: physics resources - 09/17/14 02:22 AM
Some books you might try are The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection by Clifford Pickover, Albert Einstein and Relativity for ...nd Thought Experiments by Jerome Pohlen, and Isaac Newton and Physics for Kids: His Life and Ideas with 21 Activities Kerrie by Logan Hollihan.

Thames and Kosmos has plenty of physics toys like their www..com/products/pw/pw2.html.

Posted By: sully Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/11/14 08:29 PM
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/11/14 09:05 PM
The physics resources thread from two months ago listed a few books, to which I can add "The Manga Guide to Physics" and the "Mr. Tompkins" books by George Gamow, which my 11yo is reading.
My DD6 absolutely loves the Basher Science series. Bite size chunks about so many different topics and theories. There's one on Physics and another on Extreme Physics (as well as a host of others on science and maths).
Great resources on the above physics thread; we especially loved the Cartoon Guide and the Einstein book (seriously - who wouldn't want to measure the speed of light with a microwave oven and a giant chocolate bar?!). Also, Neil deGrasse Tyson's book (like Death by Black Hole), though not light reading (but great bedtime reading, according to Chay smile ). If you want to look at fiction as well, Stephen Hawking's kids novels were a big hit here. There are also tons of gorgeous "coffee table" kinds of astronomy books, and you can usually find them at book sales really cheap.

Beyond books, there is also a wealth of cool videos on the network, including tons of beautiful footage and explanations from NASA. Google "NASA youtube black holes", and DS is in ecstasy for the better part of a day (oops).
Posted By: chay Re: Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/12/14 03:05 PM
We haven't tried the Cartoon guide yet but DS8 currently has the three books that ohmathmom posted (thanks by the way!) on his nightstand -
The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection by Clifford Pickover, Albert Einstein and Relativity for Kids:...y Jerome Pohlen, and Isaac Newton and Physics for Kids: His Life and Ideas with 21 Activities Kerrie by Logan Hollihan.

All three have been a hit.

As mentioned Death by Black Hole was a big hit last year but we had to read it to him and I'll admit at times it made my head spin (and I like to think that I'm reasonably smart). DS is gifted/LD so his reading isn't as advanced as his science/math. It isn't a kids book but for an obsessed gifted kid it worked out.

We also have Cosmic Managerie (Mark A, Garlick) which is a beautiful astrophysics coffee table type book.

Lucy & Stephen Hawking's kid's books were also loved here.

The Nick and Tesla series was also a hit -
http://nickandtesla.com/
My 3rd and 5th grade YSers have both enjoyed "Physics for Future Presidents." It's less a book about the laws (and math) of physics than about policy issues that involve physics (and economics).

They've also enjoyed the Physics installment of the "Handy [fill in the blank] Answer Book" series.
Posted By: Mark D. Re: Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/12/14 04:19 PM
Would anyone be opposed to me merging this thread with the Physics Resources thread?
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/18/14 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bostonian
The physics resources thread from two months ago listed a few books, to which I can add "The Manga Guide to Physics" and the "Mr. Tompkins" books by George Gamow, which my 11yo is reading.

Another book by Gamow to consider is "One Two Three . . . Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science". Thorne has written some books for a popular audience, including "The Science of Interstellar". The movie may be of interest.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-weekend-interview-finding-our-place-in-the-stars-1416005859
Finding Our Place in the Stars: The physicist who kept the ‘Interstellar’ science sharp talks about black holes, space travel and his optimistic vision of human possibility.
By SOHRAB AHMARI
Wall Street Journal
Updated Nov. 14, 2014 6:28 p.m. ET

Mr. Thorne served as executive producer and scientific consultant for “Interstellar,” director Christopher Nolan ’s riveting new science-fiction epic.

Kip Thorne was born in 1940 in Logan, a small university town in northern Utah. “When I was a child I wanted to be a snowplow driver,” he recalls, “because in Logan the snow drifts 7 or 8 feet high, and for a child it’s fabulous to be able to push those around.” He abandoned that aspiration when, at age 8, he accompanied his mother to a lecture on the solar system. Then, at 13, he read “One, Two, Three . . . Infinity,” a 1947 primer by the physicist George Gamow. “That got me hooked on relativity and theoretical physics and I never got unhooked,” he says.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Physics books for young(er) students. - 11/19/14 01:46 PM
Sold! Thanks Bostonian - just ordered this from Amazon.
Posted By: ohmathmom Re: physics resources - 11/22/14 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by Portia
We picked this one up from the library today. The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection by Clifford Pickover

Nice find ohmathmom!
We love Pickover's The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics too.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: physics resources - 11/25/14 03:38 PM
There is a NASA educational site Mathematical Thinking in Physics with topics such as

Fermi's Piano Tuner Problem
How Old is Old?
If the Terrestrial Poles were to Melt...
Sunlight Exerts Pressure
Falling Eastward
What if an Asteroid Hit the Earth
Using a Jeep to Estimate the Energy in Gasoline
How do Police Radars really work?
How "Fast" is the Speed of Light?
Posted By: Bostonian Re: physics resources - 11/26/14 03:23 PM
Physics books by Martin Gardner, a prolific writer on math and science for a popular audience, are described at http://martin-gardner.org/Physics.html .
Posted By: Bostonian Re: physics resources - 08/03/15 07:39 PM
The new book

Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology
By Johnjoe McFadden & Jim Al-Khalili
Crown, 353 pages, $28

is favorable reviewed at

http://www.wsj.com/articles/physics-for-bird-brains-1438375279
Physics for Bird Brains
Quantum weirdness helps explain how plants make food, animals migrate and humans think.
By JOHN GRIBBIN
Wall Street Journal
July 31, 2015

There is a sense in which all of biology is quantum biology. The entangled strands of DNA, the famous double helix of the molecule of life, are held together by a quantum phenomenon known as hydrogen bonding. The way in which those strands untwist and build new double helixes during the process of reproduction is at heart a quantum phenomenon, closely related to the way in which quantum entities such as electrons can be both wave and particle at the same time.

In their remarkable book, “Life on the Edge,” Johnjoe McFadden, an expert in molecular genetics, and Jim Al-Khalili, a quantum physicist, join forces to explain many everyday aspects of life in terms of what is often referred to as quantum weirdness. After teasing the reader with an introduction presenting the puzzle of how birds can detect the Earth’s magnetic field and use it for navigation, the authors lead us gently by the hand through discussions of the nature of life itself, right down to the molecular level and the mysteries of quantum physics. This is material that has been covered in many books but nowhere more succinctly and clearly than here. The authors have an easily accessible style, free from jargon, that can make complex issues clear even to the non-scientist.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum