Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MegMeg TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 07:04 PM
Thanks to ColinsMum and everyone else who recommended this.

It's become clear that DD6 is being held back from further conceptual progress by not knowing her math facts. (This kid has never met a word she can't fast-map, but she can't remember addition facts? I don't get it.)

With previous math programs, DD has operated at one of two speeds: Too Easy, or Hysterical Meltdown. With this, she seems to be finally hearing me when I say things like, "It's okay to make mistakes," or "Don't stress about it, just move on to the next one." She does sometimes get too frustrated, and I make her stop, but unlike previous hit-the-wall situations (e.g. Dreambox) she actually wants to go back to it. Repeatedly.

Best of all, she seems to be actually retaining some of it!

Knowing DD, this may only last a week or so, but I'll take it while I can get it.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 07:41 PM
Yay!
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 09:21 PM
Fingers crossed, MegMeg, that you can ride this particular train for long enough for it to make a huge difference for her!!

laugh
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 09:30 PM
That's great!
DS7 really loved TimezAttack. It's a fun approach to math facts and had just enough intrigue to hook him. :-)
Posted By: Madoosa Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 09:37 PM
how awesome! All three of my boys love this game (Dylan is little and gets really frustrated - even if I explain that at age 3 he really isn't expected to consider the division ones as for him)

Both older boys have seen drastic improvement in that perfectionism thing thanks to TA.

I hope it continues to work as long as it needs to!
Posted By: KTPie Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/14/14 09:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be looking into this.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/15/14 07:58 PM
Is there a way to control the speed of the timer on Timez Attack?
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/15/14 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Is there a way to control the speed of the timer on Timez Attack?
There wasn't; to start with, I often used to type for DS. He got the hang of it very fast. Much easier with the numeric keypad than the back row numbers, of course!
Posted By: MegMeg Re: TimezAttack! Hooray! - 07/15/14 08:20 PM
Yeah, I'm doing the typing too.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum