Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ashley Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 05:11 PM
I am looking for documentaries for my DS who is 6 years old to watch for the summer. He has had very little TV exposure and has not watched many documentaries and I think that I should remedy it this summer. Any interesting ones that you can recommend? He likes science, wildlife, nature and astronomy so far.
My DD 6 really liked the BBC Planet Earth series. She also liked the Discovery series North America. NOVA also has a lot of great documentaries, many that you can watch online.
Posted By: Ivy Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 06:18 PM
The new Cosmos series!
I second Planet Earth and Nova!

Stephen Hawking's Into the Universe and The Grand Design
The How Things Work series
Marty Stouffers Wild America and there was a series he did with his child that I cannot recall.

Have fun!
Posted By: Wren Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 06:42 PM
I second Cosmos. Also if you can get Water Brothers, probably online and Brain Games. Maybe online too or NatGeo.

Bang goes the Theory is good too. 7 seasons of shows, but that might have to be online too. They are out of Britain.
The old Cosmos series! ;-)
We don't watch cable except for the sports occasionally but we do have a Roku and a Netflix account together with a Amazon account.

It is tremendous because there are hundreds of documentaries there and ALL of them are commercial free!

I particularly recommend the Pluto one by Neil Degrasse-Tyson and there are a host others there too - just follow your nose.

My joy would be complete if the full Smithsonian Channel were available via Roku too but alas it is not.
Posted By: MsFriz Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 07:18 PM
The 3-part National Geographic Guns, Germs and Steel series. It dumbs Jared Diamond's book down to the point that my 9 year old easily followed it. It's a great introduction to world history and has enough recreated battle scenes to hold a kid's interest.
We really enjoyed March of the Penguins, although DD5 was sort of traumatized when some of the baby penguins died, so watch out for that.
Posted By: cmguy Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 08:28 PM
I liked SuperBridge (a 2 part Nova where they build a bridge across the Mississippi).

BBC has a history of chemistry documentary that we found really engaging, Chemistry: A Volatile History

The series How It's Made always catches DS' interest and is good for bite size watching (~3 segments per half hour)

Brain Games and How it's Made are great for this age group.
Posted By: Ivy Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/10/14 10:29 PM
Connections is also great. And Neil Degrasse Tyson has an earlier physics series (not nearly as polished as Cosmos, but really interesting) that's streaming on Netflix... but I can't remember the name off hand.
Posted By: ashley Re: Documentary suggestions for 6-8 year olds - 07/11/14 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! We have Amazon and Roku and with an excellent library system at our disposal, a lot of these will be on our summer list. As usual, a treasure trove of material for me smile
PS: Thanks for the warning to preview stuff- we have an over emotional and sensitive type of kid here and I need to remember to do it.
David Macauley made videos of several of his books (Castle, Cathedral, and a few others) that my kids have enjoyed.

Jen
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum