Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Nautigal Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 03:02 AM
I don't know how many they may be offering, but I just ordered four Life of Fred books (Butterflies, Cats, Dogs and Edgewood, 2 through 5) for $2.00 plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon. It's from delsol books. I was all set to pay $59 for them, for DD's birthday, since she's in love with book 1 that we bought a while back, and snagged this deal. It still shows, so I don't know if there are more or not. Give it a shot!
Posted By: Irena Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 03:44 AM
Wow thanks! I bought 'em too!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 04:08 AM
I hope they had more than one! smile

(And if not, I hope they get the orders in the right order, LOL!)
Posted By: KTPie Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 12:00 PM
This seems too good to be true? What's the catch?
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by KTPie
I suspect the seller has posted the wrong price by mistake. If he cancels the order, I will accept that.
Posted By: KTPie Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 12:52 PM
Worth a shot!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by KTPie
I suspect the seller has posted the wrong price by mistake. If he cancels the order, I will accept that.
The seller indeed cancelled the sale because the price was a mistake.
Posted By: Irena Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 12:59 PM
My order was just cancelled frown bummer
Posted By: syoblrig Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 01:46 PM
It's a small family business. I doubt he could have honored that price.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 02:06 PM
Check your next few credit card statements carefully, folks. It smells like a scam.
Posted By: cmguy Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 02:28 PM
What is Life of Fred? I poked around and the books on amazon had good reviews.

Are these suitable for reading to a verbal preschooler?

thanks!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by cmguy
What is Life of Fred? I poked around and the books on amazon had good reviews.
Math taught through the adventures of a highly gifted little boy (6 years old?) who is a professor at Kittens University.

The first dozen times I saw LoF mentioned on a forum I thought it was a joke. But eventually I bought a few books out of curiosity, which my oldest son has read and re-read. I guess a "spoonful of sugar" works. The other day he was reading LoF and then demonstrated how to solve 2x2 linear equations using Cramer's Rule. We don't use LoF as primary textbooks.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 03:10 PM
Yup, cancelled. Meanies. frown

I'll order it from the other guys, this time.

DD7 absolutely loves Fred. When I got the first book, I read through it before taking it home to her, and I wasn't sure how it would go over -- it seemed ok, a bit funny in places, but nothing to write home about. Well, she just laughs her silly head off at Fred and his pictures and his doll Kingie and everything. We haven't actually even read the last couple of chapters yet, and she started over again, got halfway through the second time, and today she just took it to school for read-in and said she's starting over again!
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 07:30 PM
That would indeed be a very very difficult price to honour - I am now the importer (sole) of this range for South Africa and I can tell you that that had to be a mistake. Wow.

I started reading Apples tonight to Dylan and Nathan. They loved the story and even though the maths concepts are too easy for Nathan he loved working out the "sums". They were both in constant fits of giggles at the story.
Posted By: indigo Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 08:03 PM
Life of Fred books are by Stanley Schmidt, polka dot publishing, and sold directly through Z-twist. All found easily via web searches.
Posted By: cmguy Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 08:04 PM
Thanks for mentioning this series. Ordered the first book - sounds like very interesting/good/fun stuff for kids smile

thanks!
Posted By: ashley Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by aquinas
Check your next few credit card statements carefully, folks. It smells like a scam.
If delsol books is the same as Horrible Ray (seems to be from the seller description and the check I mailed him to "Delsol books"), I can vouch that he is not scamming you. I have purchased a lot of Horrible History, Geography and Science books, Galore Park Latin and the Fred books from him (at his website) over the years and he only raises an invoice for a check after the order is shipped/received. He is a homeschooling dad. Had to chime in and put in a good word for Horrible Ray due to my excellent experiences. I first ordered due to the excellent reviews of him from the WTM forums.
http://www.horriblebooks.com/
PS: I also love how he adds a "The Great" before my name when he ships out orders. For e.g. "The Great Jane Doe" smile
Posted By: tao Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/02/14 08:55 PM
That's indeed Ray. Must be an honest error.
if you go to http://www.horriblebooks.com/ , you'll find no one beats his price.
Posted By: thx1138 Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/13/14 10:33 PM
No offense to Tao or to Ray, but I find when I search on Amazon that some of the collections are available for far lower prices. Though Ray's site does have the comprehensive list including some not sold elsewhere http://www.horriblebooks.com/horriblebooklist.htm
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Life of Fred deal - 05/13/14 11:12 PM
I ordered two from Ray, at his site, just waiting for delivery now. I find it refreshing to see a person who will ship books and let you send a check after you get them! laugh
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum