Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Quantum2003 Reasonable playtime -Dragonbox 12+? - 04/15/14 06:21 PM
This has gotten some good online reviews so I was actually thinking of getting it for my DD to use over the summer. However, now I am not sure that I want to spend $10 on it if it is like Dragonbox 5+ and done in a flash.

Dragonbox 5+ was the free Kindle app recently and both DS and DD ended up trying it. I am not used to apps with such a short lifespan and wondered whether it was just because it is aimed at early elementary (K-2?) so that the Dragonbox 12+ version will have more substance and worth paying $10. It took DS one sitting (less than two hours) to complete all 100 levels (5 chapters x 20 levels) with three stars and he only took that long because he got stuck with two stars on one of the levels. Arguably it lasted a bit longer with DD since she spent a couple of hours to complete all 100 levels but does not have three stars on every single level (only two stars on a handful of levels). To be fair, they are not the targeted audience since they are both 5th graders and DS in particular has completed real Algebra already.

I am not sure if I should still consider Dragonbox 12+ for DD who is going into 6th grade GT math (Pre-Algebra) in the fall. She is not particularly mathy and I wanted something light but with some substance to use over the summer. However, I did want someting that could be used for more than a couple of hours. Does anyone know if the 12+ version last substantially longer?
Posted By: staceychev Re: Reasonable playtime -Dragonbox 12+? - 04/23/14 10:05 PM
I'm curious about this, too. My DD8 ran through Dragonbox 5+ in less than a day when we bought it about a year ago. She loved it, but man was it short-lived!
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Reasonable playtime -Dragonbox 12+? - 04/29/14 09:57 PM
my boys are a bit younger - 5 and 7 and both used the 12+ app for ages. my 5 year old is stuck and refuses to move on without all three stars. The 7 year old finished it but it took him a few weeks (he doesnt play every day as its on my phone) So for me, it's value - also because I have 3 kids the app will keep for when Dylan is ready.

I would say that for older kids it may be valuable purely as a "fun" way to view algebra preparation.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum