Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Displaced Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 09:42 PM
My understanding of Davidson was it being geared toward EG/PG. I don't want to flood this forum with questions if there is a different place that would be better suited to my concerns. Any recs or are all levels of gifted questions encouraged here?

TIA!
Posted By: Dude Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 09:48 PM
DYS the school/organization are specific in their desire to serve the EG/PG community. This forum, being freely available to all, does not appear to make such a distinction.

I thought my own DD was MG until I was told to update my definitions, but she's still not DYS material. I'm the kind of person who tests the social limits by crashing the party and hanging out until being asked to leave. I'm still here.
Posted By: Tallulah Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 09:54 PM
I'm no authority, but I feel like they are.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 10:00 PM

Nobody seems to get frustrated or bothered if people ask questions about levels of giftedness/gifted education other than EG/PG.
Posted By: Mark D. Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 10:05 PM
Displaced - feel free to post here about anything related to gifted education. Davidson Institute programs are geared toward profoundly gifted students, but this is a public forum for all topics of gifted education. Also feel free to check out the free Davidson Gifted Database of resources and articles: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 10:06 PM
IMO, it is the first few years when your child is too young to be tested but you feel like they are gifted, is the time when most parents stumble upon this forum. So many of us don't exactly know how gifted our kids are. And this forum provides the much needed support structure we need. So I think it is completely okay to ask your questions here.
Posted By: KADmom Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/10/14 10:22 PM
Welcome, Displaced! You're in the right place. smile
Posted By: Displaced Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 12:40 PM
Thanks so much everyone! Not only do I feel welcomed, I feel relief at having such a great resource at hand with such an active forum as well. Thanks to Mr. Dlugosz for the additional resources.

I'm anxiously looking forward to starting out this part of our lives.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 01:05 PM
Displaced - I have yet to meet anyone on this board that is snooty about just how 'gifted' you need your kid(s) to be in order to participate. I think that you will find yourself very welcome here.
Posted By: cammom Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 01:37 PM
Yes! In fact, I think Davidson says specifically that the forum is meant to help parents of of gifted children whether they qualify for Davidson or not.

Also keep in mind, that even Davidson accounts score scatter in their admittance criteria (scholars, institute). A PG math whiz may not be a PG or even HG reading/writing whiz.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 04:00 PM
Dear Displaced,

This forum is for anyone and everyone who finds useful information! Like Lovemydd mentioned, we stumbled across this site when googling "help! my toddler is reading", before we knew or thought our child was gifted. There are so many people here who have been there/done that re: adovcacy, finding resources, testing, etc., and much of the advice applies no matter what flavor of gifted your child is. I hope you find some great information and support here.

Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 04:22 PM
As others have said-- this is a place where all parents can come for help, advice, or just (sometimes) commiseration when you find yourself and your child to be out of step with the world at large. Come to that, I think that part of me occasionally wishes that the neurotypical people in all of our lives would read here a bit.

The problems that come with being gifted definitely don't start at some cutoff point, whether that's DYS-eligible or not.

smile A warm welcome, by the way.
Posted By: Displaced Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 06:31 PM
Thank you everyone! smile
Posted By: SynapticStorm Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/11/14 11:16 PM
I would add that EG/PG kids are very rare. The reason this forum is such a great resource is because of the excellent posts not just of DYS parents, but also the large number of parents who have kids across the gifted spectrum.
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Forum for "just" G/MG to HG? - 04/29/14 10:07 PM
welcome Displaced! smile

Looking forward to getting to know more about you and your family.

I also found this forum when searching for answers. The is definitely a place for any questions, comments and discussions about gifted kids from all angles. And also from all countries! laugh
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum