Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: CoastalMom Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/14/14 08:28 PM
DD6 is looking to stock her new Kindle with as many books as I will fund. She's in kindergarten, but reading at a grade 2-3 level (I think: Nancy Clancy and Ivy & Bean are recently read series). She prefers happy stories, series featuring girls, anything involving fairies, and non-fiction. I've made a few desultory Amazon searches, but my tastes apparently run to 'not available for Kindle'. I'd be grateful for recommendations.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/14/14 08:39 PM
Free stuff. We're planning a Kindle loaded with Project Gutenburg books for DS8 soon. In addition to whatever kid's books, there are also the grand adventure classics out there with much richer language.

Project Gutenburg Children's Bookshelf
Posted By: Expat Mama Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/14/14 09:05 PM
Both my boys are heavy Kindle users (this after living for a long time in a country where English language books were expensive and it was hard to find exactly what you wanted when you wanted it). It can also be great when the book desired has font that is tricky for a young reader, e.g. my first grader had wanted to read The Hobbit, our copy was old with tiny font that was spaced very closely, the Kindle made it so easy to read visually.

One quick idea for you DD:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Faraway..._1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394830780&sr=1-1

Mostly, we use Amazon to find book related to ones we love.

Happy Reading!
Posted By: KnittingMama Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/14/14 10:55 PM
Would she be interested in the Betsy-Tacy books? They're realistic fiction, and my history-loving DD6 has enjoyed the first two we've read together.

DD6 also likes the Heidi Heckelbeck and Junie B. Jones series.
Posted By: Aufilia Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/15/14 03:41 AM
here are a few that come to mind off hand:

Cam Jansen series -- the Scholastic Book Wizard says the reading level for most of these is grades 2-3, and they're not scary.

The Ramona series is a bit harder (grades 3-4 level).

The American Girl books are around grade 4 reading level, but you might consider those a little later.

You might ask a children's librarian at your local library for more suggestions. Ours were helpful and didn't get weird about it if I told them my kindergartener was looking for books at reading level X.
Posted By: iynait Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/15/14 03:57 AM
Recently found this series:

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist

Posted By: puffin Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/15/14 08:37 AM
We have some A to Z mysteries and Magic Tree House.
Posted By: Aqx3 Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/16/14 02:44 AM
A young girl who loves fairies is bound to devour the Rainbow Magic series by Daisy Meadows - there are tons of these (Weather Fairies, Pet Fairies, Jewel Fairies, Music Fairies, it goes on and on, like this sentence). I personally would only get these at the library since my DD would read one of these in ten minutes.

Even though she was able to read Harry Potter books, she still loved these.
Posted By: jazzy Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/16/14 04:53 AM
My 8yr old liked the I survived series.
Posted By: lilmisssunshine Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 03/16/14 12:53 PM
Does your library have kindle loans? Mine does and it's awesome. I've noticed the Magic Treehouse books in ebook through our library's system. But most important, the thing will recommend books based on the one you're currently looking at (similar to Amazon), which might be helpful...
Posted By: thx1138 Re: Kindle books for a 6 year old? - 04/02/14 02:29 AM
I like the Kindle Paperwhite model. Has a touch screen and your child can just touch the word and it looks it up in the dictionary for them. And on wikipedia if the wireless is on. Also the latest firmware add "Vocabulary Builder", which remembers the words looked up, and lets you review them.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum