Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kriston Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/28/08 10:24 PM
Here's a GREAT fun site for engineering/physics fun:

http://fantasticcontraption.com/

DS7 hasn't had a chance to try this yet because I can't stop playing! blush grin
Posted By: kimck Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/28/08 10:40 PM
Hey thanks - that's really cool! I'm looking for some free educational games right now too.
Posted By: Barbara Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/28/08 11:12 PM
this is another series of really fun - thinking - games. We've found free versions in many places but have never bought the full deal.

http://grubbygames.com/games.php

Our ds's particularly liked Professor Fizwizzle
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/28/08 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kriston
Here's a GREAT fun site for engineering/physics fun:

http://fantasticcontraption.com/

DS7 hasn't had a chance to try this yet because I can't stop playing! blush grin

Oh Kriston darn you all to heck!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/28/08 11:50 PM
I know! It's just so addictive! Sorry to ruin your evening with games. smile
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 12:11 AM
Leave me alone! I have to get figure out how to get around the bend!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 12:27 AM
Wait until you have to get up the hump. My children are laughing at me and how pathetic my poor contraption looks as it falls on its "back." Grrr...
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 12:29 AM
beat it ! :-)

Mission to Mars....
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 12:37 AM
Oh! You're fast! I just got there. (And it was neither pretty nor quick...but it DID get there!)
Posted By: ebeth Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 01:18 AM
Oh, you are evil, Kriston.

Highly additive and very fun. I went through a few examples in the tutorial and have only made it up to The Wall, but it is great fun. I think the people that designed the Martian Rovers must have made this game. They use the same form of wheel/axle assembly that I seem to use to get over most of these early challenges. Very amusing!! I will definitely show it to DS tomorrow.

And now back to the game... whistle
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 01:28 AM
I put the kids to bed so I can get back to the important stuff: THE GAME! But Mission to Mars looks impossible.

You're quiet, JBD. Have you solved the thing and gone to bed, or are you tearing your hair out over it?

<evil cackle>
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 01:36 AM
I've been on Up The Stairs for a good 25 minutes now. Surprisingly difficult.

Today was a so-so day at 1st grade orientation so it's a good distraction. (There is a definite bias but we're hoping to get past it!)

JB
Posted By: LMom Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 01:55 AM
Ok, ok, you sure know how to keep me busy wink
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 02:29 AM
KRISTON!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 02:31 AM
grin
OK, I am forcing DS to go to bed. He got through Mission to Mars and I thought he was done. There's a page 2!!! That's for tomorrow. Thanks, Kriston. Those are fun.
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 04:11 AM
I am stopping at the four balls.

This is WAY TOO FUN.

I've got a lot of docs to read tomorrow and it will be hard to focus on them with this game!!!
Posted By: kimck Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 01:27 PM
Ha! Glad to see other people got addicted! DS and I both played this game for a LONG time last night. He's already better than me! wink
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 05:46 PM
I'll get you for this...

Thought this was neat

JB
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by JBDad
I'll get you for this...

Thought this was neat

JB

Thats prettymuch what I did. I just finished the tube.
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 06:47 PM
Some of the other solutions are pretty neat.

I don't see any that use bogy wheels.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 07:16 PM
Thats the same idea I'm going for, but I can't quite seem to get it to work. I get three balls in and the 4th stops on the hill at the end without going in the goal pit.

So frustrating! mad

<later...>

Finally got it!

I think it's kind of a funny design. But it did finally work for me. Whew!

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1050632

P.S. Please note what I named it. smile
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 09:20 PM
Oh. Didn't think about tying the wheels together off center for this one. That probably would have fixed some of my earlier prototypes that tended to get stuck...

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/29/08 09:23 PM
Meh. I don't think it really helped me any. That was mostly a ghost from a past incarnation of the thing.
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/31/08 12:22 AM
Took me forever...

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1106893

DS loves this game too...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/31/08 12:42 AM
Oh, I kind of wish I hadn't looked. That's the one I'm on now!

Still, great design! laugh

My DS loves this site, too. He said, "It's fun, AND it's science! Cool!"

grin

I'm thinking of working it into our homeschool curriculum by assigning him certain parameters to the ones he's already solved in other ways--like "You must use a ramp for this one" or something like that.
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/31/08 01:44 AM
Sorry! I should have named the level!

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 08/31/08 02:08 AM
That's okay. I know the excitement of finally solving the one you've been slaving over and needing to share it.

I'm probably just jealous. wink
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/02/08 12:42 AM
lesson learned...

My awash solution which took me forever and isn't pretty.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1190030

DS's first day of school is tomorrow ... frown

How they grow!

JB
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/02/08 03:56 AM
Lowlyworm!

http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=1196585

Posted By: Edwin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/03/08 12:12 AM
This is great I cant wait for DS6 to try it out.
Posted By: Barbara Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/08/08 09:21 PM
oooh DS8 has just discovered this ... and hasn't stopped for ...umm 2 hours. He's whizzing and having a great time!
Okay I got to the darn gap and am going insane... lol Kriston that's just evil I have to sleep and now I'll be dreaming of a way to get over that gap lol
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 12:31 AM
I hear you! I took a break from it this past week to try to get some work done. But I keep thinking about how to solve the last one I was on...
So Full Up was driving me nuts kidd walked in to show me his homework looked at it for 2 seconds and says.. "you have to knock over the ball.." dang kids making us slap our heads and say "duh" lol
Oh yeah baby.... didn't even need the kid I feel so proud... Mission to Mars third try http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1458900
AWESOME! A thing of beauty!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:11 AM
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1463122

My BigBall solution
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:13 AM
Wow! That's a good one, Cathy! Ingenious!
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1463266
My awash when in doubt build a tank lol
That was sweet!
I can't compete. Maybe I should have the girls start playing with this before we attempt our big FLL missions!
Kriston I will really be hating this tomorrow at work but right now you are my hero for finding this! LOL Put a note in with DS homework with the link for his teacher who is always looking for interesting websites for the kids.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:36 AM
<singing>
Duh. Duh. Duh. Another one bites the dust.
Duh. Duh. Duh. Another one bites the dust.
And another one gone and another one gone!
Another one bites the dust!
Hey, Fantastic Contraption will get you, too,
Another one bites the dust!

grin

You know, I very rarely donate to online games like this. If it's free, I use it without even feeling guilty. With this one I was actively looking for a way to give the creators a little money! I think it's the first time that's ever happened. I couldn't find any way to donate.

So if anyone sees a way to send them a couple of bucks through Paypal, would you please let me know. They totally deserve my cash! Such a great game!!!
I forgot to tell you I created it! I'll p.m. you my address. Large bills preferred.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:41 AM
Yeah, yeah... I've got your large bills right hee-yah!

wink
p.s. Kriston, I think you requested this:

Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:45 AM
Let's go!

laugh
You know, I think the people who go to bed early really miss out on this special late night atmosphere on the forum!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 04:48 AM
So true!

(Though perhaps that's on purpose?) wink
ROFL on that note.......
On the main page it has an option to get the full version for $10 donation. Definitely worth it but that means more challenges nooooo ...must... go.. to... sleep....

"down under" it's all about getting the length right http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1465662
Oooh!! I finally got around to trying this game. Such fun! I'm not at the levels you engineering types are, so i might be back for help soon... I was getting SET-ed out anyway. DS will love this if he ever wakes up.
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 01:20 PM
This was so much fun! Thanks Kriston for keeping me awake!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 01:56 PM
Hey, that's true, SPG! Once I started playing this game, I stopped playing Set. Not enough time in a day for both, or using a similar part of my brain?

Hmmm...
I think with set, it's just old hat - looking at the same patterns (not that i get any faster at it!) But with this, you have options, and have to think a bit more, and i'm sure everyone's contraption looks a bit different. And i sure do feel proud of myself - just did mission to mars!
I am so non-engineerish, but I love this game too! I just sent it to all the parents of my rookie FLL team. How's this one, are my girls in trouble?

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1473589

It ain't pretty but it does the job!
Posted By: kimck Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 10:05 PM
Darn you Kriston - DS and I are absolutely obsessed with this game the past couple days since bringing our broken computer back up. We are currently stuck on awash.
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/09/08 11:42 PM
Kriston, internet crack pusher!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/10/08 12:07 AM
Shhh! I didn't think anyone had figured it out yet. You blew my cover, Austin! grin
I have all but Back and forth and unpossible was thinking unpossible would be a catapult but it isn't working and darn back and forth ughh no comment other than "Kriston = Evil" lol wink
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/11/08 01:01 AM
Alright, stuck on Big Ball (everything but that and unpossible are done). Little help? How'd YOU do it?

JB
Originally Posted by JBDad
Alright, stuck on Big Ball (everything but that and unpossible are done). Little help? How'd YOU do it?

JB

Your hint is
Roll on the ball

Now where is my hint for back and forth....
Posted By: Austin Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/11/08 02:35 AM
On Big Ball, I lifted it up.
Posted By: JBDad Re: Great site for engineering/physics fun! - 09/11/08 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by TheMommason
Now where is my hint for back and forth....

I think I built a big claw like thing that rotated in the reverse direction and essentially did a reverse sling shot...

JB
great site

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum