Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 01:45 PM
I read about Brilliant.org at an article mentioned in a Davidson newsletter. I will have my 10yo boy try it.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/giving-brightest-kids-cram-school-experience-online
Giving Brightest Kids The 'Cram School' Experience, Online

The site describes itself as follows:

"Most of the world's most high aptitude students are not privileged with the resources and opportunities necessary to reach their full potential. Brilliant.org provides a challenging intellectual environment to anyone with internet access and a passion for mathematics or physics. Brilliant.org aims to become a hub of the world's most promising minds, where motivated thinkers can connect to each other and to opportunities to apply their talents.

Our weekly olympiad-style challenges offer rigorous, competitive, whimsical, and edifying problem sets in math and physics. We hope that the extracurricular flavor of these questions will allow many people to discover problem solving in a new light.

We welcome thinkers of all types and ages to create an account and join our community of problem solvers. To learn more about Brilliant's mission, watch CEO Sue Khim's TEDx talk."
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 02:43 PM
Let us know how your DS finds it... Mine has all his maths slots filled for now, I think, and this sounds like a thing one should do regularly after starting, so I'll leave it for now.
Posted By: QT3.1414 Re: Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 03:16 PM
Can anyone join this, or do you have to be of school age?

it sounds really interesting!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by QT3.1414
Can anyone join this, or do you have to be of school age?

it sounds really interesting!

I am in my 40s and signed up through my Facebook account, so I don't think there is an upper age limit.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 04:49 PM
I saw that article, and went there to check it out, too!

It says minimum age 13, but if you go through the profiles, you see kids of 11 and 12, if not lower. Probably just says that for the internet privacy rules regarding kids under 13.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Brilliant.org - 07/31/13 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, Bostonian-- it sounds like a great thing for my DD. smile
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Brilliant.org - 08/11/13 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Let us know how your DS finds it...
He worked on it for 35 minutes today (until we had to go somewhere) and liked it, so we will continue with it.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum