Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: DeHe A wrinkle in time - 05/10/13 11:31 PM
DS7 and I started reading a wrinkle in time today - it was a favorite of mine when I was young. He reads so much on his own now, but with some stuff he wants to start them with us. But in this case I think he wanted to read together because both DH and I spoke so glowingly about the book. I was a little worried it wouldn't hold up to my memory - first I was shocked about how familiar the book still was, like at the sentence level! I must have read it many more times than I remember to make it be still so familiar!

But what struck me so much reading it with DS how 50+ years ago how accurate and still relevant was L'Engle's depiction of the feelings of being different for gifted kids, and how different the PG kids are, and the range of difference among them, and the asynchrony! I could go on and on. She just captured it so well, which obviously appealed to me as a gifted girl, and now really appeals to me as the mom to a gifted DS.

Is nice when you can experience something again, and it lives up to memory!

DeHe
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: A wrinkle in time - 05/11/13 02:40 AM
LOVE. laugh

DD devoured L'Engle's series with the same exact zeal that I did. Similarly, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising a year or so later.
Posted By: cadysmom Re: A wrinkle in time - 05/24/13 02:08 PM
I agree completely! I just read-read this myself, prior to giving it to my 7.5 yr old. I had forgotten how much it talks about the kids being different, and getting into trouble. It is still a PERFECT book!
Posted By: DeeDee Re: A wrinkle in time - 05/24/13 02:20 PM
Even my DS10, who is not a fiction-lover, was enthralled and read the whole series. What a wonderful book...

DeeDee
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum