Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Dbat Jonathan Coulton - 03/29/13 02:25 PM
DD9 just discovered NPR's "Ask Me Another," which is like "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" but seems to have more topics that kids would know about; she really enjoys listening to it. Also she now loves Jonathan Coulton, who is their 'house band,' and plays excerpts of his songs on the show. This may not be appropriate for everyone (some of the topics are mature), but he has a website where you can hear some of his songs for free (http://www.jonathancoulton.com/primer/listen/
but these are mostly the more grownup ones. I'm not sure how many songs he has for younger kids, but "The Princess Who Saved Herself" is great (the princess lives by herself and doesn't wear socks and has a pet snake). Just some fun stuff to check out for kids who like word games and clever songs. (but I would definitely pre-screen the songs first) Enjoy smile
Posted By: maletero Re: Jonathan Coulton - 04/01/13 10:19 PM
I heartily agree with this recommendation. Our 5 y.o. son loves to listen to many of the Jonathan Coulton songs with me. While the Princess Who Saved Herself and My Beige Bear are (I believe) the only songs specifically written for kids, there are a bunch that work well for all ages listening. Some of our son's favorites are The Presidents, Washy Ad Jeffy, Mr. Fancy Pants, and Je Suis Rick Springfield.

(I also agree with the pre-screening of songs; some are decidedly NOT kid-friendly!)
Posted By: phey Re: Jonathan Coulton - 04/02/13 10:13 PM
I'll third that notion.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum