Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
We stopped asking about this a few months ago - now it is back. Daily questions about any and all wars, civil rights movement, and colony life. The later ones are easier to figure out but I'm running out of answers. I either need a book(s) to give her or a primier for myself. Or websites.

Any recommendations?

DD can read at a 6+ grade level but with the stories I need something not wholly inappropriate for a 6.5 year old. (so I don't need the famous vietnam picture of the gun to the guys head).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
DD loves the American Girl series. I would call it historical fiction. Also, look into biographies, there is a series called Childhoods of Famous Americans which are age appropriate biographies for kids. DD loves these and has requested more for her birthday.

The Barnes and Noble bookstore around here has a section of history books for kids. They have all kinds of titles.

I bought a biography of Amelia Earhart there. It's part of the DK Biography series. The age range is 9-12. Here's link to it on Amazon.com.. The page I've included lists a few other titles in the series.

Val
http://www.amazon.com/History-US-11...mp;s=books&qid=1216837300&sr=8-1

I believe they are written at the 6th grade level.

We also have some wonderful science history books by this author.
The Dear America series is good historical fiction. My child is sensitive, so this series was difficult for her to read. It wasn't that the books were inappropriate just that the subject matter is hard for sensitive kids to process. Topics like war, death, suffering and injustice, which are common themes in history, can be difficult for young ones to study.
My son loves reading the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and the Usborne book of world history. Those might be good to have around for a general overview and then see what topics she wants to go deeper into.
There are a whole series of these "If You Lived in ______________ books: http://www.amazon.com/You-Lived-Col...mp;s=books&qid=1216838910&sr=1-1

The nice thing is that they make it very relevant to children - if you lived then, what would life be like? What kind of toys did children play with? What kind of jobs did people have, etc?

Keep it coming - I'm onto two on these suggestions already - and yes it was historical fiction reading from the fall - like the whole Addy collection from AG that probably lead us into the war facination. Tonight it was... "how do they 'keep score' and how do they start and why doesn't anyone see what the kids want and what role to the kids have and why don't...." Lord help my tired brain... this is going get really complicated in a few years isn't it.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum