Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: fwtxmom MathCounts practice books/courses? - 05/07/12 05:29 PM
I have been pushing DS' school to start a MathCounts team and they have agreed. However, the school in turn nominated me to "coach" said team, along with a school math teacher. I was a good math student (25 years ago!) but now work as a professional in a decidedly non-math field. (And my DH is exclaiming with some asperity "How in the world do you have time for this?" which is a very legitimate question.)

Can anyone recommend practice materials or resources to start a team from level zero? I know AoPS has an online MathCounts prep course and I assume it's good like everything they do. Is this true? Any other, less expensive resources anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help with this!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: MathCounts practice books/courses? - 05/07/12 05:52 PM
Searching "mathcounts" at Amazon brings up many books. One costing $12 that I own is

Hard Math For Middle School: Imlem Edition
by Glenn Ellison

(The Imlem is a different competition, but the author says many MathCounts topics are covered)

Posted By: hip Re: MathCounts practice books/courses? - 05/07/12 06:41 PM
I don't know the AoPS MathCounts course; my son took the AMC 8 advanced prep course a couple of years ago and enjoyed it enough to want to take both AIME courses this summer.

There's a MathCounts Coaches' Forum on AoPS (go to 'Community'; then click on 'Middle School Math'); you might want to post your query there.

My son's teacher and coach use problems from various sources:

old MathCounts contests at all levels, obviously, accessible via the OPLET service or in book form in the online store at mathcounts.org, *if* you've got the money; assiduous Googling can also net you some for free

the various textbooks published by AoPS - Intro to Counting and Probability, Intro to Number Theory, etc.; again, not cheap

Jason Batterson's 'Competition Math for Middle School', available on Amazon for $25

old problems from other competitions; you might want to browse through (and Google from) this chart: http://homeschoolmathcontests.com/page.php?6

Hope this helps -- good luck!
Posted By: Bostonian Re: MathCounts practice books/courses? - 05/08/12 12:32 PM
As hip says, problems from math contests other than MathCounts can be useful. A Well-Trained Mind thread "middle school math contest problems" is at http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190273 .

It's been observed that students who do well in math contests also do well on the math SAT. SAT math prep books targeting good students, such as "Math SAT 800: How To Master the Toughest Problems" or "Dr. John Chung's SAT Math" may help with contest math, although there are topics on math contests never tested on the SAT.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum