Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Grinity Has anyone read this book? Bright not Broken - 03/03/12 10:57 PM
I just saw that there is a book on ADHD,ASD and Gifted -

Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism [Kindle Edition]
Diane M. Kennedy (Author), Rebecca S. Banks (Author), Temple Grandin (Contributor)

Has anyone read it?
I haven't bought it yet, but I read through it a little bit while I was at B&N a few weeks ago. The little I read talked a lot about how misdiagnosis can adversely impact kids particularly when ASDs (and giftedness) are mislabled and mis-medicated as if they were ADD and OCD, ODD, or other disorders, and how giftedness can mask symptoms and vice-versa. I didn't buy it for myself because there was only one copy on the shelf and I thought the other parent I was with (who is not as far along in this journey as I am, and is currently trying to deal with her decidedly bright and probably AS daughter's "ADD and ODD") probably needed it more than I did right at the moment.
I skimmed parts of it, didn't have time for a sustained read. It's a bit too anecdotal for my use, lots of information about sample cases-- but for someone who's just getting started in the 2E world it might be useful in provoking an "aha" moment or helping make useful distinctions.

It does have a useful section about RTI ("Response to Intervention"), what it's supposed to do and how school are actually implementing it. That is a topic rarely clarified elsewhere, and it's vital information for those who need 504s/ IEPs.

DeeDee
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum