Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
We just returned from a beach vacation on the Gulf Coast. DS9 has never enjoyed the beach, but it was interesting this year to see his reactions, knowing that he is gifted and has sensory processing disorder. He can't stand the way the sand feels, the glare of the sun hurts his eyes, the heat is too much, the salt water stings, and the thought that other things are in the water...like fish and crabs and seaweed...well, that throws his anxiety over the top. It is so sad for me to see all my other kids (I have 5) enjoy the beach and see thatD is DS9 so miserable. Does anyone else have a child like this?
I am perhaps not as extreme but I hate sand, would often prefer to swim in a pool, don't like wind, cold, heat. I really love nature but tend to hide inside....
DD#2 has SPD. OT has helped a lot (she can tolerate wearing jeans now), but we still need to be careful about where we take her. Public restrooms, particularly those with automatic toilets, are perhaps her biggest challenge. It makes vacation interesting.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum