Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ginger234 grants for computers? - 06/19/11 03:07 PM
Does anyone know how/where to start looking for a grant or other resource for a laptop for dd12, who has been diagnosed with a writing disability? It would be immeasurably helpful for her to have her own laptop for school work. The school is supposed to provide one during instructional hours according to her 504 plan; I would like for her to have one at home, too.
Thanks!
Posted By: Iucounu Re: grants for computers? - 06/19/11 03:23 PM
I couldn't find a US grant, unfortunately. Luckily there are an awful lot of cheap laptops out there these days.

ETA: It's a good idea to look into discounts at vendors for sure, per DeeDee's excellent advice. Most or all of the big computer makers who sell direct offer educational discounts. I believe Apple computers may be a bit high-priced for someone on a budget (though there are many nice aspects of them too, including good usability) so I'd shop around unless you prefer Apple or money is not much of an object. Some others to look at might include Lenovo, Dell, etc. At each vendor's website check for outlet models. I'd also periodically check the fatwallet.org "Hot Deals" forum.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: grants for computers? - 06/19/11 04:41 PM
Apple gives educational discounts to students: maybe you could call them and see whether they have any special programs for people with disabilities.

DeeDee
Posted By: passthepotatoes Re: grants for computers? - 06/19/11 05:38 PM
I would also suggest checking Craigslist and used computer stores in your area. Not sure how small your budget is but you may well be able to get something decent for $100. Especially during back to school time there are decent new laptops for around $300. Perhaps with summer on she could find a way to earn some or all of that money.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum