Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JustAMom Guiding the 2e after HS - 04/16/10 03:18 AM
My 2e highschooler is completing his junior year in high school. It has been the most successful year so far. We have a study hall in place where a teacher monitored his study time... about an hour after school each day. It seemed necessary as meeting deadlines were his biggest issue.

I just don't see him managing himself at a university far from home. He chooses not to drive, still has to be reminded when to go to bed, can spend the entire weekend in a fog (likes to take weekend med holidays).

Academically, his teachers do not have any doubt of his abilities (has mainly IB courses and one regular course for Spanish). They don't doubt his ability to be successfull academically in college...however, he's a bit terrible in understanding how ADHD affects him and advocating for himself. Sometimes I don't even understand how his progress reports failing grades, mainly non completions ... then 3 weeks later he masters the semester's exam and turns in an exceptional project by the skin of his pants.

If anyone else has been there and know what I am talking about...what did you do to help your child become autonomous the last year of highschool?
Posted By: HannahZ Re: Guiding the 2e after HS - 04/16/10 03:33 AM
I am interested in this too, for my oldest child. I wish I had some advice, and I look forward to reading the responses.
Posted By: JustAMom Re: Guiding the 2e after HS - 04/17/10 12:10 AM
It's good to hear there are others who share the similar concerns. Perhaps thing will just fall in place. It seems to work that way for him.

People have actually told me how important it will be for him to marry a fully functional spouse

I've been hearing this too! Sometimes, he will begin a relationship with a classmate and she seems to have the greatest impact on his organization and time management.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum