Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: BWBShari Define 2E - 06/26/09 02:37 AM
Might sound like a dumb question but I honestly don't know the answer to my question. I know parts, ADHD, Dysgraphia etc but my question is what about physical disabilities?

If you read my other post you know that a Psychologist identified my DS4 as GT a couple of days ago. However my DS4 has some physical issues related to his mother's cocaine use while pregnant. Although he is 4.3, he is still in diapers. He also has Apraxia which limits his speech although this is getting better by the day. Are physical limits included in a diagnosis of 2E?
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Define 2E - 06/26/09 11:54 AM
Gosh, I would naturally assume they are, esp. when affecting communication - intake of information or expression of it, but that is just my guess on the matter.

Here is a link to a handbook from the state of Co., but it looks like this definition would be state-specific, at best. It does appear to include physical limitations/disabilities.

http://www.cde.state.co.us/gt/download/pdf/TwiceExceptionalResourceHandbook.pdf
Posted By: jeni Re: Define 2E - 06/26/09 12:18 PM
This is purely anecdotal information, but my DYS son is considered 2E because he has an autoimmune disorder that affects his hands and makes long periods of writing difficult for him. His physical disability was actually the only thing involved in his 2E classification.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Define 2E - 06/26/09 04:46 PM
Definately. My oldest is 2E with aspergers. My youngest twin my eventually be diagnosed 2E, she has cerebral palsy. If you want to get technical my older twin is 2E in that she is gifted and has cerebral palsy as well. The difference being that after four years and thousands of dollars of private therapy you can't tell anymore without really paying attention to her motor planning. They think my oldest son might be GT, he just started talking this last year and is potting training as we speak, he's 4.2 years old.

www.twicegifted.net has an extensive list of resources for 2E.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum