Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: hkc75 LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/12/09 09:17 PM
I have been following a lot these related threads. What I was wondering is developmentally these kids are "normal" but intellectually they fall across the spectrum (where exactly is hard to say due to LDs, ADHD, etc). It seems a lot of us got the same "scores are an underestimate" speech and told to come retest in a few years. So, do HG+ kids' development eventually even out with their intellect? I realize that schools tend to believe all kids even out in 3rd grade so will we see more of a match with intellect=development at some point? I know for us my DS6 struggles with written language and verbal sequencing so anything on tests with that he struggles with. Does this mean once he masters reading, he will jump a grade/2 since that is the only subject he is "at grade level"?

So much to understand...Any advice from those who have BTDT?
Posted By: giftedticcyhyper Re: LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/12/09 10:45 PM
You will like this article:

http://eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html
Posted By: hkc75 Re: LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/12/09 11:06 PM
Thanks a ton giftedticcyhyper! Again! laugh
Posted By: kimck Re: LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/13/09 12:39 AM
LOL - great article! Thanks. That explains a lot. In my husband too.
Posted By: Grinity Re: LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/13/09 12:58 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but DS12 seems less wildly asynchronous than ever before. In fact nowadays I'm more likely to find out that he doesn't know stuff, that I just assumed he'd know. He is still PG, but at 5'6" it just isn't as weird. Remember that touch typing is the great equalizer, DS started learning at age 7, and was fluent at age 9. Wow - the flood gates unleashed!

The other good news is that no one expects much good behavior out of Middle Schoolers, so my smart@ fits in much better....

Smiles
Grinity
Posted By: hkc75 Re: LOG, LD, ADHD - 05/13/09 03:20 PM
Grinity what is touch typing?

Ok so my DS probably really would fit in with teenagers. He is just too ahead of his game for 1st grade with his quips. First graders are supposed to be "cute" and "eager to please"?

And yes I was wondering about the asynchronous stuff. Thanks for your input.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum