Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Pemberley Books with Disabled Characters - 04/15/19 01:47 PM
DD14 is looking to read books that feature disabled characters. Children's, Young Adult or Adult are all fine. I think she's looking more for LD/2e but is open to all suggestions.

I suggested the Percy Jackson series as well as The Miracle Worker. She said she's been on the lookout for My Name is Brian and Fish in a Tree which I am going in search of today. (We need audio versions for a road trip so off to the library...) Any other ideas?

TIA
Posted By: indigo Re: Books with Disabled Characters - 04/15/19 02:57 PM
Adding a link to this old post: Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World, by Leah Hager Cohen
Amazon description here.

Adding a link to this old post: Out of My Mind, by Sharon Draper
Goodreads description here.
Amazon author credits here.

Physical challenges:
- Any of the autobiographical books by Bethany Hamilton, who lost her left arm to a tiger shark attack at age 13.
- My Brief History, a memoir, by the genius Stephen Hawking who was diagnosed with ALS at age 21.
Amazon Look-Inside and reviews here. Also Travelling to Infinity: My life with Stephen, by Jane Hawking.

Specifically 2e:
- The Spark: A Mother's Story of Nurturing, Genius, and Autism, the story of Jacob Barnett, authored by his mother.
- Autobiographical books by Daniel Tammet, who has autism.

List:
- Goodreads Listopia: Children's Fiction with Positive Images of Disability
Posted By: Cookie Re: Books with Disabled Characters - 04/15/19 07:44 PM
Out of my mind...great.
Wonder....great
The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime...I don’t remember how appropriate it is...but I liked it.
Posted By: aeh Re: Books with Disabled Characters - 04/16/19 12:49 AM
This might not be what she's looking for, nor it is fiction, but Far From the Tree is an excellent collection of accounts of parents and children living with a wide variety of exceptionalities.
https://www.amazon.com/Far-Tree-Parents-Children-Identity/dp/0743236726/
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Books with Disabled Characters - 04/17/19 12:14 AM
Big sigh... I got Fish in a Tree on audio for our road trip. Put DD into a funk as the description of life as a kid with LD was a bit too real... Fortunately about an hour into listening a character was introduced that seemed to get it and DD perked up.

The wounds are very real. Even though she is a success story hearzing about another person's experience - even fictional - is tough. I'm wondering if these books with disabled characters will help or if it will just remain rough for her.
Posted By: Aufilia Re: Books with Disabled Characters - 04/24/19 05:01 AM
Offhand I'm not sure for her age group, but you can find a number of reading lists online if you google for "YA disabled characters" or "YA special needs"

Disability & Different Ability in YA Fiction: https://portlandlibrary.bibliocommo...lity_amp_different_ability_in_ya_fiction

Disability in Fiction: http://booksbyintisar.com/2017/01/09/disability-fiction-top-ten-sff-ya-books-tsana-dolichva/
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum