Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Pemberley Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/19/16 12:50 AM
Today DD11 mastered riding a 2 wheel bicycle. I had tears in my eyes watching her ride in circles around the parking lot.

This was her second attempt at the I Can Shine program that teaches disabled kids to ride a bike in 5 days. Last time she crashed just as she was getting the hang of it and it was pretty difficult getting her to try again. But this time it all clicked. They got her on 2 wheels the third day and today - day 4 - she was totally independent and working on cruising, breaking and starting.

I am in disbelief but oh so happy. It's been a long time coming. She only mastered tying her shoes in the past year. Zippers and snaps the year before

I assume a lot has been developmental maturity but I also credit the vision therapy she did last year. All her motor skills - both fine and gross - seem to have grown so much in the past year. So, so awesome.

There used to be an annual summer thread with people discussing how to teach their dyspraxic kids to ride a bike but I haven't seen it in a while. Anyone who is still working on it I strongly suggest checking out the I Can Shine program (http://icanshine.org/) to see if it may be coming to your area. I am so happy for her!
Posted By: Ocelot Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/19/16 01:48 AM
Fantastic! Particularly wonderful that she got back on the proverbial horse after the crash and experienced success.
Posted By: KJP Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/19/16 01:51 AM
Congratulations to your daughter. Thanks so much for posting this. I'm definitely checking that out.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/19/16 01:59 AM
Woot! Kudos to DD!
Posted By: polarbear Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/20/16 03:23 PM
That is SOOOO awesome Pemberley!!! Sending a huge congrats to your dd - how fun!!!!

polarbear
Posted By: EmmaL Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/20/16 06:15 PM
Whoohooo!!!
Posted By: 75west Re: Finally learned to ride a bicycle! - 08/20/16 06:43 PM
Excellent news!!! Vision therapy can seem a bit like a magic pill. Ds10 had some great results with it too.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum