Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
New Here.
My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD last winter, and we started the long process of finding meds in January. The phsychologist who tested her gave her a high IQ and indicated that she thought it was higher because the verbal portion was lower.
Last spring a few days before the math Map test, introduced my daughter to division so she would have a chance....she hadn't ever even seen the division symbols. This was spring 3rd grade. She worked for maybe 3 hours total on division before the test. She ended up getting a 224 (95th%).
She needed at least a 90% to be considered for the schools accelerated program. We are in a smaller school, and she has about 40 kids in her grade. I have worried that she wouldn't get in because of behavior issues. She really needs to get in because her ADHD is amplified by being smart and creative. She has enough downtime to read at least 2 200 page chapter books a week at school. She really needs to be challenged.
She got on a med that seems to help her focus and her overall behavior before this school year. She finished testing for accelerated a few weeks ago. Last week she took her Map math test ant told me she got a 234. I just confirmed this with her teacher today. He said she was getting a lot of square root problems and took her time. We worked a bit over the summer, but not as much as I had planned. I never taught her square roots, but wishing now I had. The school is using the recent Map scores to help decide who gets in. The map chart from 2005 shows that above 99%. I can't find a newer chart.
Pretty excited that they will have a hard time turning her down for accelerated! Statistically, she had to have gotten one of the two highest scores, and probably the highest! smile
Good job!
Nice!
Excellent news.
Awesome! I Have a link to the 2011 MAP norms for you. (She is 99th percentile.)

See page 88 http://www.ksd140.org/district-curriculum-instruction/documents/NWEA2011NormsReport.pdf
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum