Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: damoyni Lindamood Bell? - 04/02/14 06:38 PM
Hi
My DS in K is 2E, has SPD, was dx w PDD-NOS and Expressive/Receptive Lang disorder. He is reading (Word Attack @ 5th gr level) but his comprehension is lagging as is his expressive language. We are considering doing LMB and wonder if anyone has had experience w the V&V program - particularly in terms of it impacting language - both expressive and pragmatic?
We have completed OT and are in ongoing social skill groups -all very effective. We also do ongoing work w an SLP but are never sure if this is the right direction.
Thanks.
Posted By: SouthLake Re: Lindamood Bell? - 04/03/14 09:05 AM
We did a (very expensive) summer of LMB with my now 11 yo DS who has a high functioning autism diagnosis (he is in a regular classroom). Like your son, his decoding skills were fine (above grade level) but comprehension was poor (10th percentile). Unfortunately he made no gains in comprehension with this therapy. I looked around pretty hard at various options and my understanding is there is little that works GREAT for comprehension. It is just a tough nut to crack for PDD/ASD kids. Mimio/headsprout has an online product for reading comprehension that we liked and was vastly cheaper. Have you looked into that ? My son's comprehension has gradually improved but it's still below grade level and an area of concern.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum